Does anyone have any experience of getting on a sold out flight?

(4 Posts)
INeedNewShoes Sat 16-Jul-16 17:05:03

I am due fertility treatment at my clinic in Denmark next week, but I won't know for definite when I need to travel until around 12–24 hours before I need to fly. I will probably need to fly out on Wednesday afternoon/evening to be there for treatment on Thursday morning and then I can be flexible as to whether I fly back on Thursday or Friday.

The flights out on Wednesday from my local airport are all sold out, and those from other UK airports are selling out fast and are too pricey for me to book now in advance in case the timing turns out not to be right.

If I turn up at my nearest airport on Wednesday what do you think the chances are of me getting on one of the sold out flights if another passenger doesn't turn up?

CuboidalSlipshoddy Sat 16-Jul-16 17:08:09

If I turn up at my nearest airport on Wednesday what do you think the chances are of me getting on one of the sold out flights

Close to zero. They have already oversold it on their modelling of no-shows.

those from other UK airports are selling out fast and are too pricey for me to book now in advance

It sounds like you need a flexible ticket which you can cancel at no/small penalty.

INeedNewShoes Sat 16-Jul-16 17:22:26

Thanks Cuboid . What a prat I am. Why didn't I think of buying a flexible ticket last week once I had some idea that it might be Wednesday that I need to go!? I'll have a look now, but even the bog standard fares are £200+ one way.

Lunde Sat 23-Jul-16 22:38:23

Can you fly into southern Sweden (Malmö) instead and take the train over the Öresund bridge?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now