Friend wants to cancel a hol abroad she has booked after attacks etc

(8 Posts)
concertplayer Sat 16-Jul-16 16:15:34

I thought this might be helpful advice? As far as I am aware you can check your travel insurance but most do not seem to cover this eventuality.
You can contact your tour operator but they only have to refund if the
Foreign Office gives advice not to travel to that specific country/location.
Of course you could ask your T our Operator if you can rebook somewhere else but they do not have to do it .They will have a contract with the hotel and airline so may be impossible .
Credit card refund seems unlikely unless tour operator airline etc cancel
Anyone know anymore?

specialsubject Sat 16-Jul-16 19:50:25

you've stated all the issues. She can cancel but unless the tour operator is feeling helpful or there is an FCO warning, she'll lose all the money.

MephistoMarley Sat 16-Jul-16 19:54:28

Where is she travelling to?

concertplayer Sun 17-Jul-16 10:39:56

Turkey

dementedpixie Sun 17-Jul-16 10:44:10

I know thomas cook is offering refund/transfer for free now so maybe other operators are doing the same. We just got back from there at 1am this morning

dementedpixie Sun 17-Jul-16 10:47:55

Mind you they are only offering it for those flying today. Which resort is it? Ours was many hundreds of miles from Istanbul

LIZS Sun 17-Jul-16 10:54:10

Yesterday TOs were still offering holidays flying on Monday and from Manchester/Birmingham yesterday. FO hasn't said not to travel, just to take precautions. Until this changes I doubt she'll have much luck. It was same with Tunisia last year. She may yet be able to reschedule or change destination for a fee.

Hersetta427 Mon 18-Jul-16 08:54:18

When is she travelling. If its after today then any cancellation will be subject to normal cancellation charges (which if less than 70 days to go before travel will be a percentage of the holiday cost) She may beable to change for a a different destination for an admin fee (usually around £50pp).

As an aside, Istanbul and Ankara and many. many hundreds of kilometres from the tourists resorts on the south. We are booked to go in August and will be going unless we cannot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now