Low Cost Holidays in administration

(110 Posts)
BellMcEnd Fri 15-Jul-16 19:35:14

Haven't seen a thread about this yet.

We have (had?) a week long, all inclusive holiday booked for the very end of the school holidays. We've just found out that Low Cost Holidays have now ceased trading and are in administration.

I'm so aware that this is, for us, is a first world problem and that there are people who have lost their jobs, are stranded abroad etc but this is the first family holiday we've had in years and we're pretty upset.

Not told our 3 DCs yet.

Anyone else in the same boat (ha ha <--- hollow laugh)

revealall Fri 15-Jul-16 22:09:04

I thought the ABTA thingy protected you in cases like this. Your insurance would surely cover it? Can you book flights as the hotel wil now have several places left to fill anyway.

revealall Fri 15-Jul-16 22:13:39

And really sorry it's happened. Anticipation is one of the best bits of a holiday.wine.

Branleuse Fri 15-Jul-16 22:15:15

hope you had insurance or paid by credit card?

Otherwise, that does suck sad

SplitFit Fri 15-Jul-16 22:20:26

That really sucks OP. So sorry to hear that. sad
Lowcostholidays is an early casualty of brexit, which tipped it over the edge. I suspect we will see more brexit casualties soon.

mrscee Fri 15-Jul-16 22:22:33

My friend worked for them and was told this afternoon to clear their desk and not come back on Monday. They had no idea that the company was in trouble.

Feenie Fri 15-Jul-16 22:24:28

We're in the same boat, travelling in two weeks. Flights may be ok, waiting for Easy Jet to confirm - they can't say till Monday (come on Easy Jet!)

Hotel cancelled, then asked for double to re-book. If our flights are okay, we will book somewhere else. Only paid partially on credit card but looks like they're still liable for all the money we lose.

So we MIGHT still get this. Might.

Check your insurance but many standard policies won't cover tour operator failure and they weren't ATOL protected. If you paid any of the cost by credit card that might be the best route to go down. Sorry OP, it's shitty timing at the start of the holidays.

befrazzled Fri 15-Jul-16 22:25:50

We've got two weeks booked in summer holidays. I should be able to claim back through Barclaycard but when I have checked statement the amount I paid lowcost holidays is split between them and Ryanair so can I claim the whole amount back or just the accommodation? Rang Barclaycard tonight but spent 30mins on hold so no joy there sad

grumpydwarf Fri 15-Jul-16 22:26:08

Oh my god just saw this due to travel to Greece next Saturday! Looks like flights should be ok but will need to get a new hotel? Can anyone advise what to do next?

grumpy if you can afford it book a hotel asap. Low cost holidays weren't regulated or protected by any uk agencies so there's precious little chance of getting anything from them.

Feenie Fri 15-Jul-16 22:33:02

We did this:

Got on lowcostholiday website and registered claim with administrators.

Registered claim with credit card company - they're liable for whatever you don't get, even though we only paid part of it.

Contacted hotel, who confirmed cancellation and offered rebooking at double the price.

Found hotel through Thomas Cook for same original price quickly - waiting for flight confirmation and will book then.

Contacted flight operator who can't confirm till Monday.

That's all we can do for now.

befrazzled Fri 15-Jul-16 22:43:37

Don't want to sound dense but what do you put in your email when registering claim with lowcost holidays. Was it for the full amount or just accommodation since flights are separate. Never had to do anything like this before

BarbaraofSeville Fri 15-Jul-16 22:44:40

Oh no! How awful for people who have lost holidays or jobs.

If the flights are booked with easyJet or similar they could buy and enormous amount of goodwill by letting people still travel on their booked flights at little or no extra cost.

Are they definitely not atol or abta protected? When we booked a holiday with travel Republic there was an extra fiver on the bill for protection.

They were based in Majorca and definitely no Abta or ATOL. They used to be uk based I think and were protected then and I suppose they didn't feel the need to explicitly advertise that was no longer the case.

NonnoMum Fri 15-Jul-16 22:47:20

Has affected us too...
Haven't told our 3 DC yet.
We had booked an all-inclusive starting on the first Saturday of the school holidays. My eldest is leaving school and is pretty upset about the change so this was a special family-time to spend together...
and yes, I know that there are much worse problems in the world, but this is a really disappointing time. Not sure how to tell the kids. Hope I can find the credit card reference...

Feenie Fri 15-Jul-16 22:50:21

The administrators haven't mentioned it in their advice to customers, so I'd have to say not sad

Befrazzled, you tell them the full amount and your booking reference. Have you spoken to your flight company? Because I wouldn't bank on your flights until you do. We have checked in and have seat numbers, but Easy Jet won't confirm yet.

Enjoyingthepeace Fri 15-Jul-16 22:55:44

We didn't book directly with low cost holidays m. We booked through sunshine holidays but the supplier is low cost holidays. So our accommodation has been cancelled BUT Sunshine has said that we can have a full refund. I literally can press a button for 'full refund' and it will be in my account in 3-5 working days. However I don't want to press until I have spoken with our Greece hotel tomorrow. Sunshine holidays IS ATOL registered, but I don't understand how they can give us a full refund if the supplier is low cost holidays

Feenie Fri 15-Jul-16 23:00:18

Because they're ATOL registered so they have to? I think.

Bloody hell, this is so stressful.

Enjoyingthepeace Fri 15-Jul-16 23:02:52

Sunshine is ATOL registered, however they are an agency. The supplier is low cost holidays. So our accommodation has been cancelled and we have the choice of a refund or booking somewhere else. I'm so confused and disappointed

Feenie Fri 15-Jul-16 23:05:05

At least you have a choice!

Enjoyingthepeace Fri 15-Jul-16 23:29:47

But I think they're bullshitting.

BellMcEnd Fri 15-Jul-16 23:40:08

wine for all of us affected.

DH has spoken to Barclaycard who have suggested we'll get our money back. God knows when though. Highly irritating that it's occurred on a Friday so nothing's going to get started in terms of sorting thinks out until next week. I was under the impression they were covered by ABTA / ATOL: is this not the case then? shock

We've had a couple of really stressful years with a big bereavement, a cousin in ICU at death's door for weeks (he's fine now smile) and a house move - this holiday was a big treat.

Theimpossiblegirl Fri 15-Jul-16 23:46:34

Due to fly to the Dominican Republic at the end of the month. Our flights should be ok (Thomas Cook) but our hotel is with Low Cost Holidays, although through an agent. We might be ok but it's a waiting game.

I've not mentioned it to the children either, I really hope we get this sorted. I know it's a first world problem, but we've been saving for and looking forward to this holiday for years.

NonnoMum Sat 16-Jul-16 04:15:03

Not only do I have the joy of telling my children that our holiday has disappeared, but this might mean divorce for me too... My DH is asking me if we have travel insurance (don't think so - usually buy it a week before we go), if we paid on a credit card (don't think so - we took out a massive loan in the new year and it came out of that - don't ask) and if i am being deliberately vague about this (no, not really, but when you make every single financial decision for your family and work full time and have had a year of mental health issues, then sometimes, just sometimes, I might not be on top on family and household administration...)
Just needed to vent. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now