Mosquito Wrist bands

(15 Posts)
GrumpyMcGrumpFace Mon 11-Jul-16 22:35:36

So... I booked a family holiday to the south of France. I am now terrified by all the stories of enormous mosquitos shock I am a tasty morsel to biting insects, and will have 2 DC with me too, so I really want to try to avoid spending the holiday feeling ill and itchy and covered in lumps....

Has anyone tried these mosquito wrist bands and were they any good? I was looking at Deet, but it all said not for under 12s, so no good for DD2 anyway. The reviews are good... but I'd like an MN seal of approval before buying!

All advice very gratefully received - I really don't want to be eaten on holiday sad

NicknameUsed Mon 11-Jul-16 22:49:58

A mosquito wrist band might prevent mosquitoes from biting your wrist only. OH is a mosquito magnet. If he leaves so much as a square inch of his skin uncovered he gets bitten there. OH finds that Deet is the only stuff that prevents him from being bitten.

monkeywithacowface Mon 11-Jul-16 22:52:51

No they are really work for the immediate area they're on so my arms were fine but my feet and legs were fair game for the little feckers

monkeywithacowface Mon 11-Jul-16 22:53:39

Oh and they really smell, it's very over powering

CoteDAzur Mon 11-Jul-16 22:58:42

Actually, this year the tiger mosquito situation isn't as bad. Last year, we couldn't send DC to school without spraying them head to toe with mosquito repellent. This year, we are fine in the day but need to get the sprays out at around 7-8 PM.

Bracelets work well - 1 per child but 2 per adult (on opposing wrist/ankle). I would recommend the sprays which you can find in any pharmacy.

MrSlant Mon 11-Jul-16 23:01:15

The pharmacies down there seem to be well stocked with the appropriate repellants. I second the diagonal double wrist/ankle bracelet for adults, they may overpower your usual perfume though!

GrumpyMcGrumpFace Mon 11-Jul-16 23:11:19

Cote I'm just guessing from your name you might be close to where we're going.. interesting to know you do rate the bracelets, thank you.

If I'm buying repellant there, is there a brand I should look out for? TIA

GrumpyMcGrumpFace Mon 11-Jul-16 23:12:06

also good to hear it's not so bad this year, so far at least.

CoteDAzur Mon 11-Jul-16 23:19:48

I just checked out of the mosquito bracelet link in your OP and no, I'm sorry to say that those are not the really effective ones.

When you come down here, just go to any pharmacy and get the cloth bracelets with removable repellents like this one.

GrumpyMcGrumpFace Mon 11-Jul-16 23:43:28

thanks Cote that's great to know.

CoteDAzur Mon 11-Jul-16 23:45:38

Glad to help. Enjoy your holiday smile

MardAsSnails Sat 16-Jul-16 16:03:56

Parakito

I use these ones. The only day I didn't when we were in Sri Lanka I got eaten alive.

dementedpixie Sun 17-Jul-16 22:06:22

I have used deet sprays on Ds and dd (9 and 12). I am sure it didn't say not to use on under 12s. We have just been using them on holiday the last 2 weeks espacially after ds got bitten 5 times the night we arrived when we hadn't sprayed anything.

Seacrets Mon 18-Jul-16 19:39:36

We all used full strength jungle formula DEET in Greece recently and not one of the five of us was bitten. I've used it on under 12s. No way would I trust a wristband, I don't think mozzies understand the placebo effect.

Hersetta427 Thu 21-Jul-16 12:29:35

The kids used those wristbands you have linked to in Egypt in May - they worked really well (have a strong citronella smell) and neither of them picked up a bite.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now