Best flights to Australia in Dec

(14 Posts)
Incunabula Tue 05-Jul-16 13:36:25

Hello travellers! We're planning to fly to Melbourne 17 Dec and come back 7 Jan (approx). Has anyone any experience of best airline to use? Or any to def avoid?! Willing to take a bit longer getting there/back to get a good deal but 30 hours the max. Royal Brunei seem to be best on initial research but would very much welcome any views. Thanks!

DiggersRest Tue 05-Jul-16 13:41:53

I fly Singapore Air as they are very clean, nice enough food, very friendly and l like Changi Airport.

I also like that they do a 1 hour 45 min transfer. I just want to get there/home ! smile

MaitlandGirl Tue 05-Jul-16 13:41:55

My mum always flys with Emirates and really likes them (she flys Manchester to Sydney). She particularly likes how easy Dubai airport is to navigate and how helpful the aircrew and airport staff are to an elderly, single flyer.

I'm sure there are better airlines, in terms of food and inflight entertainment, but I like knowing she's well looked after on the flight.

Kirriemuir Tue 05-Jul-16 13:45:33

If you can go a couple of days earlier it should be cheaper. 16/17th is the peak time to fly to Oz for Christmas.

OnyK Tue 05-Jul-16 18:54:26

We went with Cathay Pacific as they were the cheapest, but we were happy with the flights/seats/food/entertainment etc. Hong Kong airport was also easy to navigate.

VulcanWoman Tue 05-Jul-16 19:01:31

Singapore Airlines.

Incunabula Tue 05-Jul-16 20:05:42

Thank you, that's some really good feedback. Hadn't really thought about the airports and navigation etc. so will add that to my list of worries, ha ha! Somewhat fixed with the dates due to term times unfortunately. Any more seasoned travellers out there, would be great to hear your views?

Madbengalmum Tue 05-Jul-16 20:11:09

Etihad, very good service and they have a sale on currently. Abu dhabi, lot less chaotic than dubai airport imho.

ShanghaiDiva Wed 06-Jul-16 00:37:17

Have always flown with Cathay to Oz - entertainment system is really good, food is decent and staff are helpful and friendly.

zabuzabu Wed 06-Jul-16 00:46:34

I would avoid changing in the Middle East / Middle Eastern airlines right now. I can recommend Singapore Airlines. Cathy has (or at least, had) terrible baggage restrictions, only one bag at 20kg and anything above charged at extortionate price per kg, not per piece!

MargaretRiver Wed 06-Jul-16 00:59:22

Whereabouts in UK are you?
Emirates have the biggest choice of UK departure airports
Royal Brunei is "dry" ( no alcohol) if that makes any difference

Incunabula Wed 06-Jul-16 21:30:42

Would be flying from Heathrow.

MargaretRiver Thu 07-Jul-16 00:41:11

In that case you have plenty of choice
Would you like a stopover on the way out or back?
If so, look at where you need to change planes and pick your favourite
(Hint: Singapore or Hong Kong)

PestoSwimissimos Sun 10-Jul-16 13:04:45

I flew to Oz with Royal Brunei, they were fab and way cheaper than other airlines. Great service and their fleet is quite new smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now