Worried about marble floors in villa and my 20 month old having an accident on them

(16 Posts)
Lozzy13 Mon 04-Jul-16 12:54:08

I am sure a lot of people reading this are going to think I'm neurotic and a typical first time mum, but I'm seriously getting worked up about our holiday! We are heading to Spain this coming Sunday 10th July with my husband's brother and wife and their family (two boys) My concern is that our 20 month old gets very over excited when he is with his cousins, especially the 3 year old cousin ,and I know it'll be difficult to keep him from running about trying to play. I'm afraid of high jinks turning into a bad accident especially as the villa is all marble floors! Am I worrying about nothing, would a slip on a marble floor be as bad as I am imagining? Or does anyone have any tips from experience? I'm seriously contemplating making him wear a helmet so I don't worry ! Then he can actually play without me following him about waiting to catch him if he falls!!! (having said that the likely hood of getting him to wear a helmet is pretty slim!!) Anyway, I'm sure a lot of you will have a good laugh at this, I am probably being a bit neurotic!! 😂but if anyone does have any advice or tips to make a marble floored villa toddler safe I'd be very grateful!

Coconutty Mon 04-Jul-16 12:57:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 04-Jul-16 12:59:27

We're currently in a marble floored villa with a clumsy 2 year old and just walking 12 month old... My heart is constantly in my mouth! Not much you can do except keep a close eye I don't think, make sure floors aren't wet etc.

PortiaCastis Mon 04-Jul-16 13:00:41

I think you are being over anxious.

MiffleTheIntrovert Mon 04-Jul-16 13:01:29

This is totally the sort of thing I would have worried myself sick over when mine were that age so I understand.

Perhaps a rule that no running in the house and slippers (with a proper sole) to be worn inside the house at all times I would say or shoes but it would set off the shoes in house argument again no doubt wink

noramum Mon 04-Jul-16 16:36:20

Get him to wear shoes inside, socks will only make it more difficult.

Honestly, we visited friends with dogs who have stone floors throughout the ground floor. DD decided to race with the dogs and yes, she fell. After a small bump she was a lot more careful.

These things happen, he can run outside, slip and fall down. It doesn't matter where. Last Summer, DD was already a mature 7 year old, she run after her friend's little sister, stumbled and fell and bumped her head a bit.

Misty9 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:37:29

If it helps, when dd was 18 months she fell off the bed in the hotel room in majorca - with tiled floors. She hit her head, eyes rolled back and went floppy shock but she was fine 5 mins later...so it wouldn't be guaranteed to be a disaster!

The thing I'd really watch for is water on the floors if kids are running. You could always create a soft play area for high jinks with all the mattresses?! Enjoy smile

Lozzy13 Wed 06-Jul-16 12:34:42

Thank you everyone for advice and reassurance. I will certainly be telling the 7 and 3 year old cousins not to run in the villa so our little boy doesn't copy and shoes are a good idea too, so I'll be making sure he's wearing them at all times! I don't act so neurotic usually, it was just horrible visions of him falling on marble floors that set me off in a panic!! I'm sure it will all be fine if we keep the boys calm as possible in the villa!!! Thanks all, I feel slightly less anxious now!

naughtymummypig Wed 06-Jul-16 17:49:13

We're in a villa at the moment with tiled floors and a 23 mo. I was worried at the beginning but she's been great. Lots of split levels with 2 steps between levels and she's been fine. I always make her wear her crocs outside because the tiles are hot and slippery.

I felt the same as you but they quickly adapt.

RaisingSteam Wed 06-Jul-16 17:52:02

Take ice packs and baby ibuprofen with you so if there is a bump you're prepared!

feesh Wed 06-Jul-16 17:55:35

I live in the Middle East and have raised both of my children exclusively on marble floors. It's never ever been an issue and I am struggling to see what the issue would be, to be honest!

Illias Wed 06-Jul-16 17:57:14

Agree with Feesh, plenty of children raised in marble-floored homes the world over. They'll be fine!

Lozzy13 Wed 06-Jul-16 21:53:07

Feesh and illias, that's a fair enough comment but it's because I'm coming from carpeted floors that I'm letting my imagination go a bit into overdrive probably, that's reassuring to know you've never had issues and I'm sure yours had little falls when they were learning to walk etc. It's good to know you've never seen it as an issue. I said in my original post; I'm sure some would find my worry hilariously over the top, but that's the way I am! A worrier!!!

DragonRojo Wed 06-Jul-16 21:58:15

I was raised on marble floors and millions of children in southern countries are. Just make sure his feet are dry before going into the house and he'll be fine. He might end up with a bump or two but no more than if he fell while walking on the pavement.

DeadGood Tue 12-Jul-16 23:00:40

I suppose that children brought up in homes with tiled floors get used to it and know to manoeuvre so they aren't as likely to slip. A toddler used to laminate wooden or carpeted floors wouldn't be able to know in advance that it's a lot more painful to fall on a surface with no give!

OP I was recently in just the same position as you, but all was absolutely fine

Enjoyingthepeace Tue 19-Jul-16 13:18:12

Don't get the helmet.

I bought for both mine. Why I didn't learn from the first, I don't know. They refuse to wear. It's hot and cumbersome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now