Vaccinations for Mexico?

(10 Posts)
clam Mon 04-Jul-16 12:48:54

Going early August - just booked. Will be staying in the tourist area and mainly sticking to the hotel/beach.

As a rough guide, no major health conditions in any of us, do we need vaccinations? Phoned the surgery, who said we each need to make an appointment with the travel nurse to see if we need them. That seems a lot of faff, just for them to possibly say no, they're not necessary.

specialsubject Mon 04-Jul-16 20:22:54

You can check online to see what is recommended and compare with what you've had - follow the links from the fco advice page for Mexico.

Having the right jabs may be a condition of your travel insurance.

24/7 d e e t needed due to zika, chikingunya and dengue.

clam Mon 04-Jul-16 21:25:59

Good point about mozzie spray!
Trouble is, I've no idea who's had which jabs in recent years, so have had to book all 4 of us in to see the surgery nurse for her to tell us.
Thanks for your help.

Marmite27 Mon 04-Jul-16 21:28:35

I had something for Mexico, but can't remember what. DH (was DF the - was our honeymoon) booked them.

mummymeister Mon 04-Jul-16 22:01:47

I think you need the following:

Courses or boosters usually advised: Hepatitis A; Tetanus; Typhoid.

Have a look at the fit to travel website as it is the same advice as your nurse will give you.

www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/north-america/mexico.aspx

Assume that you aren't trying to conceive or thinking of doing so in the next 6 - 12 months because of the Zika risk?

having the recommended jabs is incredibly important even if you think that the place you are staying is so "naice" that you cant possibly catch anything because you can.

50% deet boots own is one of the best for keeping the mozzies off.

clam Mon 04-Jul-16 22:05:13

Assume that you aren't trying to conceive or thinking of doing so in the next 6 - 12 months because of the Zika risk?

grin Er, no! am 53

mummymeister Mon 04-Jul-16 22:08:13

Clam I didn't know you were in the same category as me. it makes foreign travel a lot less stressful. one of the few or only advantages of the menopause!!

Sidge Mon 04-Jul-16 22:11:02

If you saw me I'd recommend Hep A, and ensure you were up to date with tetanus etc. You wouldn't need typhoid if you were staying in the resort but might do if you're going to do your own thing and couldn't guarantee access to safe water.

Lots of insect repellent and be stringent with your hand hygiene, food and water hygiene and have good travel insurance.

(I'm a practice nurse and the travel health lead nurse at my practice).

clam Mon 04-Jul-16 22:11:39

Same category? You mean, old? grin

Or is it "elderly primagravida" or something?

mummymeister Tue 05-Jul-16 10:53:31

grin clam I think I am beyond even being an elderly primagravida.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now