Would you travel to turkey?

(39 Posts)
user1467042399 Sat 02-Jul-16 08:48:51

I've found a last minute deal for me and my bf for next Thursday to turkey for £123 each it's half board in dalyan.
Would you risk it?
I'm undecided

gettingtogreat Sat 02-Jul-16 08:52:00

There have been about three threads on this recently and the answer is no chance.

Hulababy Sat 02-Jul-16 09:06:42

Personally I wouldn't go, but then I wouldn't have gone to Turkey beforehand either at this time of the year - the heat for one thing.

What is the latest travel advice?

It may be cheap for a reason???

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 02-Jul-16 09:15:44

No I would not go. Its cheap for a reason and cheap is not always cheerful.

Have you looked at the Foreign Office travel advice for Turkey?

user1467042399 Sat 02-Jul-16 09:18:19

Sorry I didn't see any other threads just quickly posted.
No I haven't looked yet,literally just found it on thomas cook late deals.
I've been to turkey in the past and loved it but we are talking 10 years ago.
What about Cyprus? Nissy bay?
It's scary these days,

WannaBe Sat 02-Jul-16 09:27:01

Currently there is no foreign office advice against travelling to the Turkish resorts. Any terrorist activities have been limited to Istanbul.

The reason why it's cheap is because tourism has suffered there due to fear. But TBH there have always been cheap deals to Turkey.

I love Turkey and have been there several timeS. Personally I don't believe I would be any more at risk of being involved in a terrorist incident there as in the UK, and the risk is tiny even then.

But the reason why I would be reluctant is because if there were an incident in a resort then there is a risk of being stuck out there without being able to get home easily. The same risk does of course apply to any European country, but if you were e.g. Unable to fly out of Spain it may be possible to get a train across the border and either fly or travel over land across Europe. Turkey is a lot further away to find your way back from if you can't fly out.

OutsiderInTheGarden Sat 02-Jul-16 09:32:37

My SIL is Turkish and she & my brother spend most of each summer in Turkey. They're still going this year, but not flying into Istanbul, and avoiding visiting family right on the Syrian border as they usually would. Personally I would go too, avoiding the same places.

Hiddenaspie1973 Sat 02-Jul-16 19:28:43

We're booked for the end of July for a fortnight.

exLtEveDallas Sat 02-Jul-16 19:32:23

I wouldn't, but not because of the threat of terror - I just don't like Turkey as a holiday destination. If you like the destination then I wouldn't worry. I'm off to Egypt in 3 weeks and everyone seems to think I'm nuts.

Creampastry Sun 03-Jul-16 07:21:17

No to turkey... No to Egypt. Just wouldn't.

Coconutty Sun 03-Jul-16 07:25:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrssmith79 Sun 03-Jul-16 07:29:15

All of Cyprus is lovely - Skytours have some decent deals atm. I'd avoid Turkey regardless of the current issues, I'm not a fan.

Meeep Sun 03-Jul-16 07:37:20

Turkey is too hot for me but otherwise I'd go.

nuttymango Sun 03-Jul-16 07:39:29

No chance, nor Egypt or anywhere in Africa. We've been asked if we want to cruise between Africa a d the Middle East, not a chance of that either confused

Oliviaerinpope Sun 03-Jul-16 07:44:06

Absolutely not. There's a reason it's so cheap!

Daytona79 Sun 03-Jul-16 07:48:39

Not a chance , even if it was a free holiday I would not go

Fairylea Sun 03-Jul-16 07:49:35

Not a chance in hell.

It's cheap for a reason!

Honeyandfizz Sun 03-Jul-16 07:49:48

No there's no way I would be able to relax, it's just not worth the risk imo.

AbyssinianBanana Sun 03-Jul-16 07:55:39

I love Turkey. Love Istanbul. Lived in Middle East. And we specifically said "no" because we felt there would be another attack... I thought the airport, DH thought a beach resort (another Tunisia) as they've killed off most tourism to Istanbul already. Everybody knew it was coming ... And they still succeeded in killing a lot of people last week at the airport.

It is not the same chance as in the UK - what a ridicilous statement.

Ragwort Sun 03-Jul-16 08:05:35

Yes, in fact I am going this week .................. hope to see you all when I return grin.

TrappedNerve Sun 03-Jul-16 08:09:31

Yes op I would go in a heartbeat.
Just got back a few weeks ago from kusadasi, my first time to turkey btw.
Had a lot of people saying we were mad going but I've never felt safer.
Don't live your life in fear.

Mama1980 Sun 03-Jul-16 08:15:06

Yep I would. Turkey is beautiful.
I won't have my actions determined by fear I'd sooner take my chances.
Plus I go to London every week pretty much more risky statistically.

boocha Mon 04-Jul-16 06:16:00

Yes, we're still going in August, really looking forward to it, asked the kids if they wanted to cancel after latest incident but they definitely still want to go.

sandgrown Mon 04-Jul-16 06:25:05

Turkey is a huge country and most of the holiday resorts are miles from Istanbul and the border with Syria. My close friends own a property in a small holiday resort and have never had any trouble.

dementedpixie Mon 04-Jul-16 06:30:18

We came on Saturday as we had booked already and our resort is over 400 miles from the airport that was attacked. It is very hot!

P.s. ours was not cheap either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now