Taking my 5month to Scilly

(9 Posts)
ClaireLavin Fri 01-Jul-16 14:10:10

Hi Mums!!
I'm new to Mumsnet and am looking for some of the famous advice please!!
I am going on holiday with my husband and our baby boy who will be 5month when we go. I'm looking for some advice and tips to help while we're away. He is formula fed, we have started weening and are going to Sicilly - what water is safe to make up the formula feeds with? Does anyone know what brand baby food is sold in the shops there? Any tips for packing, avoiding ear popping on the flight or keeping him hydrated when he doesn't like drinking water.
Thanks in advance Mumsnet xx

BlueEyeshadow Fri 01-Jul-16 14:11:53

Scilly or Sicily? Big difference! I'm guessing Sicily from your OP...

ClaireLavin Fri 01-Jul-16 14:20:11

O stupid phone changing my words!! Yes Sicilly in Italy x

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 01-Jul-16 14:33:24

I would take the tins of formula milk with you for your holiday, you really do not want to spend time searching for it.

ladydoer Fri 01-Jul-16 15:40:20

Hey

I was in Sicily two years ago, we were drinking mineral water but tap water was good as well. Suppose for a baby mineral or spring water would be fine

Better take your formula milk with you as different countries have different milk formula sold in their stores

Sicily was great, I found it slightly too hot and humid until we got used to the climate there.

keely79 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:32:30

Have plenty of milk with you on the flight - if he is sucking at his bottle, that will help with the ears, and will also help to keep him calm. Remember to take several changes of clothes with you for him on the plane - babies have a knack of picking the least opportune time to have exploding nappies. I'd also take a spare top for yourself as well (traumatic memories resurfacing... wink).

You could look into a baby food grinder rather than tins of baby food (generally) - then you can take, say, boiled carrots from your plate in restaurants and mash them up for him, or grind up fruit into purees. I found them to be a life saver when travelling as my kids did not like the readymade stuff from supermarkets.

Are you staying somewhere with a kettle or other means of boiling water? I think you could use boiled water. I think you need to avoid mineral water as is not good for babies - but distilled bottled water should be fine.

ClaireLavin Fri 01-Jul-16 16:52:51

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate them. Good idea about the boiling water, I have a travel kettle I can bring with us. Will also look into a baby grinder for use out and about for food. As you say the supermarket stuff is never the same as fresh so wanted to try tomplan ahead as much a possible to be prepared.

Thanks all for the advice - keep it coming if you think of anything else, really appreciate it!! Xx

theredjellybean Sun 03-Jul-16 11:55:37

i took my dd2 to sardinia when she was 8 months old...it was fantastic holiday, italians adore babies and she was made a fuss of everywhere we went ( helped because she is very blond, and beautiful ) . You will have a lovely time, every cafe and restaurant we went to the staff would take dd and cuddle her and entertain her and we got very used to enjoying eating our dinner in peace !
She was a bit older so we didnt worry too much about mushing up food, just gave her breadsticks a lot and mashed up pasta and gnocchi in sauce with our forks , and she ate a lot of ice cream if i remember !!!
The best advice i can give is be relaxed, do not worry if some italian mumma gives him a bit of custard or ice cream...or you feed him baby food from a jar..its just for short period, enjoy being on holiday .

ClaireLavin Mon 04-Jul-16 16:46:45

Thank you, I really appreciate the advice -thunk your right just need to relax and go with the flow! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now