First Mumsnet Post :) Babymoon Ideas & Zika Concern

(5 Posts)
user1467100601 Tue 28-Jun-16 09:54:15

Hi All, Hoping my first post works ok smile Looking for some advice/opinions.. I am due at the end of November and my husband and I really want to get away for late Aug/Early Sep baby moon. Our ideal was South of France/Italy however we are now concerned about the Zika virus spreading. Does anyone know what the latest situation is? Or does anyone have any recommendations for a zika free zone location? Thanks so much x

Hersetta427 Tue 28-Jun-16 14:30:12

The latest is there is no Zika mozzies in Europe.

user1467100601 Tue 28-Jun-16 16:09:34

Thanks for your response - where did you see this guidance?

Hersetta427 Tue 28-Jun-16 16:23:24

World health Organisation.

minipie Tue 28-Jun-16 16:53:44

Sorry I don't think that's quite correct.

There are no Aegyptus mosquitos in Europe, these are the ones currently carrying Zika in South America and other parts of the world.

However there are plenty of tiger (Albopictus) mosquitos, which the WHO believes may be able to carry the Zika virus, although not as readily as the Aegyptus. Hence they have said there is a low to moderate risk of Zika in Europe. Thus far however, the only reported Zika cases in Europe have been imported from elsewhere.

As of 24 June the WHO was still meeting with health/tourism etc industries across Europe to discuss Zika prevention link

So there is still a risk - but at the moment it seems to be a theoretical risk and it's not clear what will happen in practice.

If you don't want to take that risk: have a look at the maps here:

mosquito maps

These show EU countries where the Aegyptus and Albopictus mozzies have been found. You have to select the type of mozzie on the drop down menu to get the right map.

Canaries are free from both types I believe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now