Flying with two airlines - can you do this?

(15 Posts)
IamAporcupine Mon 27-Jun-16 22:15:07

I am going on holiday for a week in August with my son.
We are flying out in one airline (easyjet) and back in a different one (vueling)
I am about to buy tickets to the same destination for this weekend, just for myself and it will be the opposite way, flying out with easyjet and back with vueling.
I was thinking that instead of doing a separate booking I could just add the other legs to the previous booking.
In theory I do not see why this should be a problem, but I am worried I might be missing something. Any ideas?
Thanks!

BarbaraofSeville Tue 28-Jun-16 04:59:13

I'm fairly certain that flights with no frills airlines such as Vueling, Easyjet etc are all independent of each other and are not considered to be return or connecting flights so you can do what you propose to do.

SaltySeaBird Tue 28-Jun-16 05:12:53

If this is a separate trip just doing it as a separate journey instead of creating outbound / return legs on your unconnected trip.

It shouldn't make a difference but don't risk it.

TheDropBear Tue 28-Jun-16 05:20:17

Would adding the new flights mean it's classed as a return flight rather than one way? Airlines can cancel your return flight of you don't check in for the outbound flight so it could cause problems.

SaltySeaBird Tue 28-Jun-16 05:22:17

I'm not sure budget airlines do that but that's why I wouldn't risk it!

KeyserSophie Tue 28-Jun-16 05:57:42

You need to book the other flights under a new booking code. Dont add them to the existing one. If you dont take the outbound flight, usually you're not entitled to take the inbound one.

jacksoncannery Tue 28-Jun-16 06:04:04

I have no idea what you perceive the benefit to be here as in my experience, with budget airlines the return fare is just the sum of the two single fares. It's not like 'nicer' airlines where you might get a much better deal on a return fare.

PollyCoddle Tue 28-Jun-16 06:04:19

Why would you want to? Would it make a price difference? Is your DS on the same booking number as you in August, because that might confuse matters if he is on some legs but not others X.

Also (and possibly I'm being a bit thick) have you written it the wrong way round? You say you're going out on Easyjet in both directions.

jacksoncannery Tue 28-Jun-16 06:07:06

And also, wouldn't this be complicated on the online booking system as the passenger list needs to be the same for all parts of a booking and your son won't be with you? I am so not understanding why you have even thought of this!

PollyCoddle Tue 28-Jun-16 06:09:53

Sorry for my random X. Not sure how that crept in.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 28-Jun-16 06:40:58

It doesn't matter whether passenger lists match or whether the DS is with her etc etc. All flights on these sorts of airlines are totally independent of each other.

Last year DP went on his annual boys holiday and I joined him a few days later. The booking was as follows:

DP flys out on date A from Airport B with Airline C to Airport D with his mates
A few days later, I fly out from Airport E on Airline F to Airport G, which was in a different country (but close by) to Airport D
After our weekend away, we both fly back from Airport G on Airline F

So DP went out to Airport D on a one way ticket and returned on a different airline from a different country and the second airline had no record of him ever arriving there. Was all totally fine.

Sounds complicated and booking was a bit of a headache to make sure the right bookings were made for the right people on the right days, but it all worked great and the cost of the flights doing it this way were less than half what they would have been using a single airport and single airline.

IamAporcupine Tue 28-Jun-16 22:52:22

PollyCoddle you are right I wrote it the wrong way around!
It is out vueling, back easyjet
and then out easyjet, back vueling

The reason way I wanted to do it is because legs of 'return' flights in easy jet are slightly cheaper than if you buy them separately, and also because of some managing charges. It was not a huge amount, but I thought I could save £20 grin

I think it would have worked if I'd booked them at the same time, but it seems that once the booking is done, you cannot add other journeys on-line anymore (I think it was possible before)

Anyway, thanks everyone, I didn't think many people would reply!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 28-Jun-16 22:54:30

It wouldn't have worked - inbound legs would have been cancelled once you didn't take the outbound leg.

IamAporcupine Wed 29-Jun-16 10:12:30

AnchorDownDeepBreath that would not be the case:

out on 1 July Easyjet - back on 3 July Vueling
out on 8 August Vueling - back on 14 August Easyjet

so for each airline I'd be doing:
Easyjet: out on 1 July - back 14 August
Vueling: 'back' on 3 July - 'out' on 8 August (which sounds strange but it is just a return flight in the opposite direction)

My concerns were more related to passport control.
Anyway, can't be done now!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 29-Jun-16 10:13:46

Oohh I see what you mean! Sorry 🙂

Got caught abroad with a lot of people who had booked returns but not taken the outbound flight once. It was not pretty!

Sorry that it can't be done. It was a good idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now