Splash out family holiday for October half term?

(13 Posts)
alanthicke Thu 23-Jun-16 13:53:46

I'd like to plan an amazing holiday for DH's 40th birthday in October. It will be DH, me, and our 7 and 3 year olds. We are an American family living in the UK for a few years so we'd rather not do the Caribbean or anywhere else that we can easily go from the states. At the same time we do want to relax and not just do a sightseeing holiday. With the kids it's hard to do more than a 4-5 hour flight, and it's probably easiest to go one place for the whole time rather than travel around. I would LOVE to go somewhere with a kids' club that we could use for a few hours a day but I'm not sure my kids would go for it, especially the little one.

Budget is flexible but not unlimited -- I would say we can spend up to around £7K, although we do have quite a lot of air miles so may be able to use those for flights.

Thanks for any suggestions!

mouldycheesefan Thu 23-Jun-16 13:56:16

Cape Town?

BumblebeeBum Thu 23-Jun-16 14:03:16

The issue may be that up to 4/5 hours away from the UK won't get you much sun in October time. So you either go as south as you can, so the Canaries or Northern Africa or you go somewhere knowing it won't be hot or even warm and find other ways to relax than just sunbathing etc.

Do you just have a week for half term, or longer?

Ideas that come to mind include;
Marrakech, Morocco.
Tenerife, Canaries
Croatia (will have places with kids clubs but also lots to explore)
Turkey (as above)

Also - October is Oktobefest in Munich, Germany - I've not been so not sure if child friendly, but could be worth investigating, especially as you are celebrating your DH's birthday.

PamelaPatricia Thu 23-Jun-16 14:18:50

I know it's a longer flight than you wanted but what about Dubai?

minipie Thu 23-Jun-16 14:40:08

As a pp said, 4-5 hours away in October won't get you guaranteed sun/warmth.

Would you consider a much longer, but direct and overnight, flight? If so then Mauritius would be good - and they have great kids clubs (some of them free for 3 and up).

Cape Town is also a good idea (again, long flight but can be overnight) but more sightseeing/activities than pool or beach based. So depends on what you want.

Cape Verde islands?
Seychelles? (Pricey!)

BarbaraofSeville Thu 23-Jun-16 14:59:18

Canaries should still be warm in October? I think Lanzarote is one of the warmer, drier islands and you could get a really nice hotel and there are quite a lot of activities on the island if you want something to do other than relax or if the weather is less than perfect.

Princessa Yaiza in Playa Blanca is an often recommended nice 5 star family hotel with lots of facilities.

minipie Thu 23-Jun-16 17:03:51

Canaries will be warmer than the UK but not necessarily swimming and sunbathing weather - depends on whether that's something the OP definitely wants?

No1HolidayPlanner Thu 23-Jun-16 18:26:16

Canaries are warm in October.. Average temp 23 degrees.. But often warmersmile

frenchfancy Sat 25-Jun-16 14:45:50

What about Sicily? Still nice weather in October, some amazing things to see and the food is great.

Makemineacabsauv Mon 27-Jun-16 23:20:42

We're going to Rhodes in Oct - should still be warm bought in the daytime for swimming and warm enough just for a light cardigan in the evening. Look at Mitsis hotels if you want AI, they also do hotels in Crete and Kos which will also be warm then. Or Cyorus.

DownUnderBound Mon 27-Jun-16 23:25:07

cape verde

Hersetta427 Tue 28-Jun-16 14:28:56

If you want a decent kids club and good AI options maybe a sensatori resort (there are 2 in Turkey, Tenerife, crete, Cyprus, Ibiza plus 3 long haul). They are Thomson hotels. We looked at them all when deciding on our summer holiday and the two in Turkey by far got the most consistent excellent reviews.

alanthicke Tue 28-Jun-16 14:39:00

Thanks so much everyone. This gives me lots to chew on...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now