Sweden

(5 Posts)
chocoLit Mon 13-Jun-16 21:17:20

We're heading into Sweden from Copenhagen this summer. Anyone been and have any 'must sees'?

Ideally looking for some lovely chilled family time as it's all been a tad hectic.

Would love some advice. ESP if anyone has hired a car as they're coming up rather pricey shock

chocoLit Tue 14-Jun-16 07:48:50

Nobody?

chemenger Tue 14-Jun-16 13:51:36

We have been to both Stockholm and Gothenburg, the first for a summer holiday and the second for a break in October. We really enjoyed both. There is a lot to do in both cities. We stayed about 10 miles outside Stockholm and got the bus into the city most days, the bus system was amazing, cheap and reliable. We also pottered about on ferries and buses around the Stockholm Archipelago which was also great. If we were going again I would try to stay on one of the islands with a ferry connection to the city. The children (teens) liked the Tivoli amusement park. My "must see" is definitely the Vasa Museum, a ship that was recovered from the harbour virtually intact, it is a fantastic museum. If you go to Gothenburg then the ship museum was probably our favourite - you get to go through a submarine which is cool.

ineedamoreadultieradult Tue 14-Jun-16 13:58:23

There is a theme park in Gothenburg which looks good but it was closed in February when we went. The tram system around Gothenburg is very good and if you get a day pass or three day pass includes the ferries around the Archipelago the islands are lovely. Are you sure you need to hire a car the public transport is very good. I have been to Stockholm as well but as a child so can't remember much about it apart from the Palace which is worth a visit.

chocoLit Tue 14-Jun-16 17:23:55

Thanks chemenger and ineedamorealdultiersdult <great name btw>

We are staying right down in the south for 8 days so a good 3-4hrs away from Gothenburg and even further from Stockholm at 5-6hrs. Whilst I'd love to see both cities this is really a wind down holiday trying to spend some badly needed time with the DC away from two very hectic jobs. I'm not sure day trips to those cities are high on the agenda this time.

We're spending a few days with them in Copenhagen before heading into Sweden so sort of a city break first then a bit of R&R.

We'll be fine without a car in Copenhagen and could train it over to Malmo but I wonder whether we should have a car for the rest of the time as where we're staying is quite remote. We're also flying back on the Sunday at lunchtime from Copenhagen so the plan was to just hop in the car and head to the airport after breakfast.

Will give it some more thought..................

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now