How bad is Dartford tunnel crossing?

(15 Posts)
Fossie Sun 12-Jun-16 23:08:32

I'm now having to drive kids to Upminster from Croydon next Friday about 4.30pm. How long might that take? Google maps think 48 minutes but what might the Dartford crossing add to that or is it not that bad? Is there any alternate route that would avoid the crossing? I'm a slightly nervous driver so I'm not looking forward to this. Any advice gratefully received.

CathemeralChild Sun 12-Jun-16 23:13:58

The Dartford crossing is really easy to drive. It's clear and straightforward. But how long it may take is anyone's guess. sad
I've been straight through in rush hour, and sat in a queue for an hour at a midweek lunchtime.

DesolateWaist Sun 12-Jun-16 23:16:47

Very easy to drive through but be aware that you will need to pay in advance. You will need to go online and create an account.

nancy75 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:20:31

I can't see it taking 48 minutes, I would probably add an extra 30 minutes to that

NicknameUsed Mon 13-Jun-16 19:15:57

I didn't know you had to pay in advance. When did this come in?

I think you are being extremely optimistic about it taking only 48 minutes at 4.30 on a Friday afternoon. Can you leave earlier?

228agreenend Mon 13-Jun-16 19:21:01

The alternative route is to the opposite way around the M25!

If you are concerned about the tunnel, check the traffic before leaving, and adjust your journey if there is heavy traffic. Perhaps stick to an outside lane, rather than one of the inner ones.

swooosh Mon 13-Jun-16 19:23:59

The traffics much better than it used to be. I don't think I've waited more than 5 minutes and that's been peak times.

MegBusset Mon 13-Jun-16 19:27:29

You don't have to pay in advance. You can pay (I think) up to midnight the day after travel.

Friday will be busy but should be OK unless there's an accident in which case all bets are off!

LocalEditorEssex Mon 13-Jun-16 19:27:36

It depends on a few things.

If everything is good and free flowing then you shouldn't have many issues.
However, if it is windy, the bridge may well shut, you then will queue to use the tunnels.
If there is an accident again there will be delays and another possible closure.
At 4.30pm on a Friday afternoon...I would add some time to your estimation.

unimagmative13 Mon 13-Jun-16 20:09:11

Could take 48 mins could take 4 hours that's the unfortunate this of the dartfors crossing

TheNaze73 Mon 13-Jun-16 20:10:24

You're timing couldn't be worse. Sorry OP. It's utter ball ache on a Friday afternoon

Babyroobs Tue 14-Jun-16 14:39:02

Each time we have had to go across the Dartford crossing it has been a nightmare. Last time we were stuck for about an hour and a half and that was at 9.30 at night after a very long day at a family funeral. The fact that you now pay in advance seems to have had little impact. I hate the M25.

sarahs88 Wed 15-Jun-16 16:46:08

Can ne a nightmare! Good luck OP, I hate the crossing. Just don't forget to pay the fee!

sarahs88 Wed 15-Jun-16 16:46:48

You donb't have to pay in advance, it'll register your reg and you'll need to pay within 48 hours if first time.

Fossie Mon 20-Jun-16 20:44:54

Many thanks all. A friend took my children in the end and it took two and a half hours. I was lucky there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now