Dreaming of holidaying for the full 6 week summer holidays. Where would YOU go?

(21 Posts)
Dappy28 Fri 10-Jun-16 19:26:13

Hi - when it comes to the summer holidays next year, i am hoping to still be on mat leave with DC3 (nearly 1). Also have DC2 (3 years oold) and DC1 (5 years old).
We haven't had a 'proper' holiday for years and this will be my last mat leave so want to make use of the time off but no idea where to go / what to do other than I want to be out of the UK.

If you could go any where for the 6 week hols where would you go? Or if you've already done it where did you go?

I want somewhere not scorching hot
I will be with DH
We can both drive
We would be willing to drive to different locations
Want a mixture of sightseeing / relaxation
Days lying round a pool will be few and far between with adventerous children.

TIA for your suggestions

FlouncyMcFlounceFace Fri 10-Jun-16 19:32:40

I think I'd do a driving tour of Northern Europe. Take in Denmark, Sweden and Norway. Mix three 1 week cottages with a splattering of hotels and the odd couple of nights in family friendly sites with child orientated stuff.

Salmiak Fri 10-Jun-16 19:43:40

I go away for the whole summer with my 2 dc every year. I've found its ok going somewhere hot, as long as there is a pool and air conditioning. So I rent a villa with a private pool, air con, kitchen, 2 bedrooms and bathrooms. I make sure there is WiFi so we can Skype home and we have a lovely relaxing time. And restaurants/cafes nearby so I dont cook too much. Also get a cleaner to come once a week.

Looking at your criteria maybe Yucatan peninsula in Mexico - no drug violence, no threat of Isis, but ? Zika virus. plenty of holiday rentals/hotels and you could travel along the coast slowly. Lovely beaches, merida is a vibrant city, flamingo nature reserves, cennots and Mayan ruins to explore. But it will be quite hot.

Drinksforeveryone Fri 10-Jun-16 19:52:15

If I could holiday somewhere for 6 weeks I would probably go to France for about 3 weeks, then drive down to northern Spain - spend 2 weeks or so there in a couple of different areas, then head back into France - a couple of days or so in each location.

Or would go across towards and include Germany, Austria, Hungary ? Can be very warm weather there though in high summer.

NickiFury Fri 10-Jun-16 19:57:09

Florida, the Gulf Coast. I've been all over but the happiest and most at peace I ever felt was there. Just beautiful.

Donthate Fri 10-Jun-16 19:59:44

I've been to pollensa in northern Mallorca for 4 weeks and would again. Have also done south of France and into Italy. Both fab.

GemmaB78 Fri 10-Jun-16 20:17:15

Same as Flouncy, but add in Russia and some of the Baltic countries.

SilverHawk Fri 10-Jun-16 20:25:11

I presume the six weeks are the school summer holidays, which will include all of August.
How are your languages?
I have done a six week road trip. Roughly, down the East of France, along the South and up the West. I would rule out Spain due to the heat.
What I would do now is, head to Munich (fly or drive). Dip into Austria and head through Southern Bavaria to Lake Constance (Bodensee). Again through the Alps to France. Trying to take in the Gorge du Verdon and wind back home

sleepwhenidie Fri 10-Jun-16 20:29:17

We are doing it, a week in a farmhouse in Portugal with pool, tennis court, trampoline, then three weeks in St Ives and two weeks in the mountains. Can't wait.

sleepwhenidie Fri 10-Jun-16 20:30:10

Mountains = Hautes Alpes de Provence, driving down and stopping one/two nights each way.

Rainshowers Sat 11-Jun-16 09:46:28

My parents took me and my brother to Australia for six weeks when we were 11 and 9 during our holidays (so older than your DC's). It was amazing. We have family there so used their house as a base but saw lots of the east coast-Sydney, Blue Mountains, Nooosa, Whitsundays... I'd love to do similar when my DC's are older, I'd like to do a European version too. Best get saving!

pieceofpurplesky Sat 11-Jun-16 09:50:49

Canada.

FlowerOfTheWest Sat 11-Jun-16 09:55:21

Great plan, I've always wanted to do this too so I have plenty of ideas. I'd like to do a road trip all the way down the west coast of the USA. Or travel by train between six cities in Europe, spending about a week in each, not sure if that would be practical with kids and luggage though.

mrsmortis Sat 11-Jun-16 12:43:42

I'd suggest 5 weeks of adventure followed up with a week on a beach somewhere to recover before heading home. I'm with people on the idea of exploring northern Europe. When I was a teen we drove the length of the Rheine over 14 days. It was great fun. And with a five year old maybe a couple of days at Disney if you are passing Paris?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sat 11-Jun-16 17:13:33

I would go to Turkey. I went once for 6 months and ended up staying for 3 years. I love it there and would happily spend 6 weeks there again, it is full of history and culture.

user1465911437 Wed 15-Jun-16 13:57:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 15-Jun-16 14:03:59

My dm used to take us camping for the 6 weeks holiday and my dad would come down Friday to early Monday morning every weekend.

It was great, probably my favourite childhood memories were of me and my cousins being let free on the campsite all summer.

KateLivesInEngland Wed 15-Jun-16 14:21:00

I dream about this all the time!
No family anywhere particularly holiday-sy or hot unfortunately so would just be £££££ very expensive!
I can dream though.

oldlaundbooth Wed 15-Jun-16 14:34:53

Ah, my kind of fantasy thread grin

If DS was slightly older (he's only 2.5) I would do 6 weeks driving around the States in a luxury camper van, mostly focusing on National Parks and the coasts.

Start in New England, south down to Virginia, through Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Texas, then up to Colorado and Yellowstone. Then onto San Fran, then down the Californian Coast, visit Napa.

Fly home from LA or San Diego.

I'd have some treat nights in motels and hotels but when in National Parks etc we'd sleep in the campervan.

Scarydinosaurs Wed 15-Jun-16 14:38:12

I'd do Vietnam. The cost of the flights would be outweighed by the ridiculous low living costs.

ErgonomicallyUnsound Mon 20-Jun-16 22:33:12

I'd rent a big F off villa in a swanky part of Greece - NE Corfu or similar, and have diffrent friends/family to stay different weeks

Car and close to tavernas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now