Where to go, the first two weeks of October?

(18 Posts)
BIWI Sun 29-May-16 18:44:45

DH and I have booked these weeks for a holiday. Will just be the two of us.

We'd like to go somewhere where it's going to be warm, and where places are still open. We went to Majorca years ago for October half term, and half the bars/restaurants had closed for the season.

I know that the first two weeks should be a bit better, as it's earlier - but am still worried about this.

We've been a lot to Barbados around this time of year, so don't want to do that again (even though it's lovely!)

Don't like massively touristy places, but equally we aren't travellers - we're more on the tourist spectrum.

So far, we've got Cuba (DH) or Cyprus (me). But not really sure about either.

Can anyone inspire me?!

Not on a particularly tight budget, but want to be reasonable.

Madbengalmum Sun 29-May-16 18:49:56

UAE, weather is perfect in October, or Canaries, Tenerife?

HamletsSister Sun 29-May-16 18:55:24

Morocco was amazing in October. Marrakech and Esaouria for the beach. Atlas for adventure.

Mumandmama Sun 29-May-16 18:57:31

There are some smart spa resorts in Tenerife and a nicer side to the island despite its reputation. Worth a look.

BIWI Mon 30-May-16 08:17:07

Thank you for those suggestions! I'd never have thought of Tenerife, so will check that out.

magimedi Mon 30-May-16 08:27:35

The Med can be wet at that time of year.

Tenerife is lovely - pick carefully & you'll have a great time. The North is cooler than the South, but less touristy.

Makemineacabsauv Mon 30-May-16 23:21:01

We're going to Rhodes this year but I do love Cyprus too!

Makemineacabsauv Mon 30-May-16 23:21:32

Meant to add - the second week in Oct!

BIWI Tue 31-May-16 00:04:43

Cyprus was one place we were thinking of

DelphiniumBlue Tue 31-May-16 00:28:09

Don't go to northern Crete- we were there in early October, and despite the temperature being high, a mist came down on the beach every day at about 3 pm!

BIWI Tue 31-May-16 07:05:29

Oh no! Don't want to be fog bathing grin

Waitingfordolly Tue 31-May-16 07:17:59

Lanzarote is also nice, try Playa Blanca, we went there on MN recommendation

Roundtheworld1 Thu 02-Jun-16 09:51:04

Depending on where you are in Cyprus the hotels may be closed as it is low season and bars and restaurants may not be open as much as in the summer so watch out! smile

My mum has a place in Paphos so we travel out there a fair bit off season - rented a really lovely villa near the centre of town with novasol last year so were able to have a nice meal etc. at the harbour

would recommend but w/ self-catering

BIWI Thu 02-Jun-16 13:53:49

Yes, we'd probably be self-catering if we go to Cyprus. But places being closed is exactly my concern!

GoldPlatedBacon Thu 02-Jun-16 13:58:33

We went to Paphos at the very end of September. everything was still open and around 32 degrees every day. I wasn't actually that fussed about going, DP insisted, but I really loved it and would like to go back.

The sea was a bit rough, and the sun sets around 6pm but there's loads to do and food was fantastic (although I love Greek food!). A hike to the troodos mountains is worth doing.

Roundtheworld1 Thu 02-Jun-16 17:03:10

Also great spots along the coast including roman ruins, mosaics, tombs of the kings (my kids loved) and the alleged birthplace and bathing spots of Venus. Food is also amazing, its true.. grin

Have used Airbnb a couple of times but if you want a proper villa with pool, try Novasol out. Also used them with our Denmark trips and haven't looked back. But obviously the weather won't be nearly as nice as in Paphos! ENJOY

baillie3 Sat 04-Jun-16 12:59:15

We're going to Paphos in 2nd week of October, it was either there or the Canary Islands x

BarbaraofSeville Mon 06-Jun-16 09:33:56

Canaries are not too touristy if you avoid the main resorts and are all year round so no worries about things being closed. Does Greece/Cyprus shut down outside the main season? I am surprised - I would have thought that the weather would be good until the October holidays and hence people would go until then at least?

Must bear that in mind as we always holiday in September or early October but have usually have been to Spain or Canaries up to now but are starting to look elsewhere for variety.

We're going to Gozo (small island off north coast of Malta) the first week in October. We were there mid September last year and it was hot hot hot so hopefully the weather will still be good.

You can get to Gozo easily with package holidays or book independent. Fly into Malta and the ferry across is cheap and easy.

As well as Gozo, which is a quietish place, you can have a day trip to Comino (even smaller island between Malta and Gozo) for walks and swimming and a day or two in Malta too (or stay in Malta and do the trips from there - some of Malta is a bit touristy but again plenty is not and you can find quiet in Gozo/Comino).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now