Entering UK without a passport

(32 Posts)
MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 26-May-16 20:36:10

Is it possible for a UK national to enter the UK without a valid UK passport (or any passport)?

LakeOfDreams Thu 26-May-16 20:38:46

If you are a British citizen living overseas the country you are living in can deport you and the UK have to accept you even without a passport I believe. Otherwise I don't think so

Akire Thu 26-May-16 20:40:14

Maybe the you swim in! But airlines etc will not let you travel without one and if lose it on way/ditch it they can return you to county you came.

gracienine Thu 26-May-16 20:42:09

I lost my passport AFTER going through security at Barcelona airport once... God knows how. they let me back into the UK on the other side but I had to fill in some forms!

katiegg Thu 26-May-16 20:44:40

technically, if you are in the Republic of Ireland and cross to Northern Ireland you don't have to produce a passport (or any other form of id). You could then get a boat or a plane to Scotland or England and, depending on the airline, you need photographic ID but not necessarily a passport.

BigPurpleCake Thu 26-May-16 20:45:41

I lost my passport overseas once, and I was not a British citizen but living in the UK on a working visa. They let me back into the country, thank goodness. This would have been around 2007.

BigPurpleCake Thu 26-May-16 20:46:57

I had to have special papers to travel with, and had to sort everything out with the airline ahead of time so they would take me. But it is definitely possible.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 26-May-16 20:48:16

It depends on circumstances. We have protocols if you lose your passport and your identity can be verified. If you're being deported, you don't need travel documents.

Largely its difficult and very circumstance dependant.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 26-May-16 20:52:02

Thanks everyone. This is someone travelling from France to UK, normally resident in UK. She managed to convince the ferry company to let her travel on an expired passport on the way TO France week, and France let her in. (only realised passport had expired on arrival at ferry port).
We're a bit concerned about whether she can get home again.
Do you think UK border control will let her in?

titchy Thu 26-May-16 20:56:19

Probably given that she's in possession of a passport, albeit out of date. It'll be majorly hassley though!

Costacoffeeplease Thu 26-May-16 20:57:31

In general it's harder to get back in than to leave - can she not get a temporary passport from the local consul?

chicaguapa Thu 26-May-16 20:59:30

I've re-entered the UK at Calais on an expired passport. I got a bit of a telling off but I didn't cease to be British when it expired.

Frazzled2207 Thu 26-May-16 21:02:48

I suspect with a bit of wrangling and form filling they will yes, assuming passport recently expired.
My best friend recently lost her passport on the plane hmm she was at the airport filling in forms for a while but she got through. Expired passport better than a lost one.

lanbro Thu 26-May-16 21:03:21

This happened to me! Realised on a Saturday night that my passport had expired and was getting the ferry on the Sunday morning. Took the chance and France let me in then had no problem at all coming back to the UK, although it was 2001 so a lot could have changed!

madamginger Thu 26-May-16 21:04:20

The last time I sailed from France to the uk via roscoff to Portsmouth I wasn't asked to show my passport, I was worried as I'd spilt coffee on DDs and it was ruined confused but they didn't even ask for them

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 26-May-16 22:05:27

Costa I don't know. Could she get a temporary passport from the local consul??

Chic that's reassuring, and what I hoped someone would say smile. The passport she has with her expired in 2009 though shock

Costacoffeeplease Thu 26-May-16 22:17:40

We had to get temporary documents for a stolen passport - it's just valid for one trip, I don't know what they'd say about a passport that expired in 2009 though, I thought it was more recent

lanbro Fri 27-May-16 07:01:33

2009?! Mine was only a few months out....

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 27-May-16 07:44:32

She's elderly sad.

Ememem84 Fri 27-May-16 07:51:36

I think a few weeks or months would be ok. 7 years..? I think she's in for a lot of hassle. Sorry.

I assume she hasn't travelled since 2009. I think she'd be best maybe contacting the passport office for an emergency passport? (Can you even get those)

chicaguapa Fri 27-May-16 07:58:52

You can get an emergency passport at the embassy in Paris. Where is she in France? Mine was only a few weeks out of date. 2009 does make it more complicated imo. But if she's elderly it might help.

GiddyOnZackHunt Fri 27-May-16 08:04:51

I think you might get a few questions but I would expect most Immigration staff can tell a UK citizen a mile off. Things may have changed in recent years though.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 27-May-16 23:23:49

She's in Brittany with another family member, staying with friends.
They've decided to go to the port on the day they're due to travel, mid-next week and wing it from there.
I'll let you all know what happens smile

Iflyaway Tue 31-May-16 00:17:50

Wonder how all these wonder scenarios will change come Brexit....

Not in UK, so not applicable to me personally.

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 31-May-16 00:32:30

Well this scenario would likely be unaffected. France happy to wave a certainly Brit off to be dealt with by UK Immigration who are going to admit a UK citizen if they're sure she's British.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now