Would you stay in a Formula 1 hotel?

(25 Posts)
Spaghettio Thu 26-May-16 13:07:48

We are driving to France tomorrow (fuel strikes - eeeek). We are aiming for very far in the south and will drive as long as possible tomorrow afternoon and evening. DH says we'll just pull into a Formula One when we get tired and sleep for a few hours and then get back on the road.

I've read some really awful reviews though ... I think we will need to get good sleep if we're driving most of Saturday and we won't get that if they're as bad as some of the reviews say.

So, what's the consensus? Would you do it??

For full disclosure we are also travelling with DS's (11yo, 8yo and 7yo).

NannawifeofBaldr Thu 26-May-16 13:08:47

I have done years ago. It was pretty basic but it was fine.

nixxxy Thu 26-May-16 13:10:21

I did a couple of years ago, basic but clean. I remember it had a washing basin in the bedroom but the shower was at the end of the hall and self cleaning. Put me off it a bit :S

Balletgirlmum Thu 26-May-16 13:10:25

Dh stayed in one in the UK & it was awful. But it might be different in France.

INeedNewShoes Thu 26-May-16 13:11:01

No!

And I usually camp on holidays, so I'm used to roughing it.

My only Formule 1 experience was nasty. The room itself was ok. Very basic but nothing offensive. But mon dieu the toilets were disgusting! It wasn't like one person had been gross. All of the toilets were horrid. I felt like I needed to shower in bleach having been in the cubicle and hovered above the seat.

Spaghettio Thu 26-May-16 13:13:21

We're happy with basic - not happy with grotty, health hazard type places! shock

SugarMiceInTheRain Thu 26-May-16 13:13:36

Look at Premiere Classe hotel chain instead. Same sort of price as Formule 1 but you get your own bathroom. We had some iffy experiences in Formule 1 hotels and I'd rather go without showering than use the showers there! We always use P.C. hotels now when driving throughout France.

Spaghettio Thu 26-May-16 13:15:38

Our own bathroom would be ideal - I already have to share with 4 people, I don't need to add more to that list! Thanks Xjx

Spaghettio Thu 26-May-16 13:16:10

Sorry for the kisses blush forgot I'm on mumsnet and not texting a friend!

INeedNewShoes Thu 26-May-16 13:17:13

I'm glad you're so fond of your fellow mumsnetters wink

Bolograph Thu 26-May-16 13:21:00

We used them a lot pre-children; some were fine, some were a bit skanky. I couldn't be bothered if I had children with me, and the small extra cost of an Ibis would be worth it (and often on the same site).

Spaghettio Thu 26-May-16 13:30:44

As we're just going to stop when we want, I was worried that we wouldn't have much choice - but if there are other hotels in the same place we might opt for them. I'd much prefer an Ibis!

Bolograph Thu 26-May-16 13:35:04

but if there are other hotels in the same place we might opt for them.

It's routine for there to be at least two Accor-group places on one site.

Spaghettio Thu 26-May-16 13:52:52

That's great news! I'll mention it to DH and plant the seed of an idea to stay there.

Whathaveilost Thu 26-May-16 13:56:15

We dis years ago when we were nearly skint and needed to break up a journey in France.
No horror stories - it was fine. Did the job for a quick overnighter.

These days we stop at better place but I wouldn't knock Formula 1.

WontLetThoseRobotsDefeatMe Thu 26-May-16 13:59:53

We've not done F1 but lots of Campanile, Premiere Classe - always together in a big group like a services. Often near a Buffalo Grill!! I've used booking.com and got very cheap deals - own bathroom, and quite often booked a triple room (single bunk over a double) to get a little extra space.

superwormissuperstrong Thu 26-May-16 14:07:07

As mentioned above I have used premiere classe - they are small and basic but in my experience have always been clean, but can be a bit stuffy if it's warm. Usually they are in the same location as a campanile which are nicer, bigger rooms and about 50% more expensive - e.g more like 75 euros than 45 for a premiere classe. (Prices vary a lot depending on location and whether it's a weekend or week)
The other one by major roads we like are ibis budget...

ChippyMinton Thu 26-May-16 14:19:04

No to F1, private bathroom is a necessity. Any of the other chains are fine.

SwedishEdith Thu 26-May-16 18:19:56

Agree - Premiere Classe are good. Whereabouts will you stay?

Spaghettio Thu 26-May-16 20:57:25

We're not sure where we'll stay - it depends on how far we get. Hoping to travel for about 4 hours once we're in France - but it'll depend on traffic and tiredness levels.

SmashingTurnips Thu 26-May-16 21:08:33

Ibis Budget is generally around the 45 euros mark and you get your own shower (not to be confused with the non Budget Ibis which is the same chain but more expensive). Agree Premiere Classe are generally pretty ok.

Spaghettio Tue 31-May-16 09:08:13

For anyone interested - we stayed in a Premier Classe. It was perfect for what we wanted - a bed for the night. The teeny bathroom was all we wanted - no sharing with other people! Thanks mumsnet!

Drinksforeveryone Wed 01-Jun-16 22:28:49

Ah good. Am pleased you found something.

Enjoy France

Spaghettio Thu 02-Jun-16 20:59:47

Tonight we'll be staying in an Ibis budget. Fingers crossed!

TellAStory Fri 03-Jun-16 12:57:31

We have used B & B hotels in a few locations in France - basic but clean with a private shower room. Aparthotel are also good and have a basic kitchenette with fridge so you can self cater. We have a plug in cool box in the car and take supplies with us and it is handy to use the fridge overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now