do i bother with parasol on cheapie holiday stroller or ...

(17 Posts)
mustthinkofabetterusername Thu 26-May-16 01:04:24

Just use (unsightly) pegs and large muslin

boots 9.99 for parasol and adaptor
mothercare 25 quid

Are they worth the weight in luggage?
or just a gimmick

all experience/advice welcome!

whitechocolatefingers Thu 26-May-16 01:19:34

I got one of these http://www.tesco.com/direct/snoozeshade-the-pram-stroller-blackout-blind-upf50/209-0131.prd?skuId=209-0131&pageLevel=sku&sccmp=ppcc_shsh_sh_--tesco-_-209-0131&gclid=CISv-J279swCFVYo0wodRVMLzQ&gclsrc=aw.ds.

It was great, really lightweight and fitted really easily. I don't know how true it is but I saw something about it not being safe to use muslins it can make it an unsafe temperature?

Just5minswithDacre Thu 26-May-16 01:58:48

No UV protection from a muslin either.

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 26-May-16 02:13:12

Urgh, hate parasols. I can never seem to get them to fit, have to change angle every time i change direction. I'm not sure what the alternative is though, I have only holidayed with babies in the UK and not when excessively hot or sunny! Is the place you are going a 'family' place? When I've been abroad previously, I have seen umbrellas for sale in local shops in family resorts.

mustthinkofabetterusername Thu 26-May-16 15:21:15

Thanks ladies!
I had heard something about blankets also, but thought it was more about thick, fleece ones? I had thought a muslin might be ok from that point of view. But I never even thought of the UV protection, and a muslin would offer none! We are going somewhere family orientated in the Med, so am guessing could get one locally.
Have done the typical first-time-parent-travelling-for-the-first-time and over packed. Don't know if I can afford the weight of a parasol in the luggage! confused Toddler in buggy, so they'll want to see out a bit also.

Cupoftchaiagain Thu 26-May-16 15:28:08

I would get a snoozeshade if u can afford it if not muslin, /sarong and pegs just bear the uv protection in mind and try to angle buggy out of Sun for naps etc

Just5minswithDacre Thu 26-May-16 15:33:57

I'm thinking back to our buggy parasols and they were really very lightweight. Grammes. Although, maybe they vary. I always bought cheap universal mother care or Boots branded ones, which were light as air ( a few years back).

Have you actually held one?

mustthinkofabetterusername Thu 26-May-16 15:35:11

thanks, have looked at the link and also googled. But I have a question re: using snoozeshade and toddler? surely if toddler is awake they get cross they can't see out?

MyBootsAreMuddy Thu 26-May-16 15:38:57

We used one of those canopies that look like giant hoods. It can be pulled quite far forward and gives a good amount of shade. Ours was similar to this one.

mustthinkofabetterusername Thu 26-May-16 15:41:29

thank you!

MyBootsAreMuddy Thu 26-May-16 15:44:17

They fold down quite small and are kind of like those pop up tents,in that they fold in on themselves. Ours folded down into a little pouch which was handy.

mustthinkofabetterusername Thu 26-May-16 15:47:03

think I've seen them in boots, will take a look

MissRainbowBrite Thu 26-May-16 15:47:22

We used a canopy type thing that tied to the hood, it provided plenty of shade but DD (who was 16 months at the time) could see out. Really easy to attach and if we needed it out the way I just carried a peg and clipped it back on itself. They fold up like a pop up tent and I think ours was about £12.

MissRainbowBrite Thu 26-May-16 15:55:00

http://www.kiddicare.com/p/DionoShadee_MakerCanopy.htm?productt_id=545542
Just like this but I think the brand was Summer.

MyBootsAreMuddy Thu 26-May-16 15:56:29

I'm originally from NZ and they are very popular over there and in Aus as they also give protection from UV rays but allow airflow.

purplefizz26 Thu 26-May-16 16:00:15

We would have struggled without ours, not only sunburn to think about but sun in babies eyes.

They are usually very little light so shouldn't make a difference to luggage weight.

Ilovewillow Thu 26-May-16 16:11:20

Snooze shade are great, UV protection, darkish for sleeping and they do unzip when the child is awake but still provide sun cover!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now