Nearest airport to Islington??

(28 Posts)
MaizymousE Wed 25-May-16 22:07:54

Hi I'm just wondering if anybody would be able to tell me what is the nearest airport to the above?? I'm hoping to attend a funeral of a dear friend of mine & I live in Ireland & have no clue & I'm finding it difficult to understand Google confused also if anyone would be able to advise me of how to get to st Johns church from airport I wolld be really greatful as i have never been to uk before.. Thanks

Longdistance Wed 25-May-16 22:10:23

Heathrow I'd say is the closest airport.

strongandlong Wed 25-May-16 22:11:29

Sorry for your loss. flowers

London City is the nearest. Gatwick is a good option because you can get the train straight to st Pancras, hi how is very close to Islington.

Are you staying over somewhere?

strongandlong Wed 25-May-16 22:12:00

which is very close..

Longdistance Wed 25-May-16 22:12:06

Or London city airport?

IrenetheQuaint Wed 25-May-16 22:12:14

City airport is closest physically, but you should be able to get a cheaper flight to Stansted or Luton, which are about 45 minutes on the train to central London then a few stops on the tube to Islington.

strongandlong Wed 25-May-16 22:12:56

Heathrow's pretty easy too. Stanstead is a bit of a trek though.

Hassled Wed 25-May-16 22:15:31

TBH any of the London airports would do - so the Ryanair Dublin/Stansted flight would be OK - then there's a regular train from Stansted to London Liverpool Street station, and from there you can get the tube. It looks like the nearest tube station to St John's Church is Archway on the Northern Line.

MaizymousE Wed 25-May-16 22:15:38

Thank you all so much for your replies flowers gatwick is coming out the cheapest for us.. We are hoping to get the early flight over & the last flight back to Ireland we are on tight budgets but really want to get their if we possibly can!

TheSpottedZebra Wed 25-May-16 22:19:14

I'd look at Luton airport actually. There's a train from there to Farringdon, which is about a 25 min walk to the church,if you want to avoid taxi fees etc.

Where are you flying from in Ireland?

MaizymousE Wed 25-May-16 22:23:08

Dublin it's just so hard Iv never been to the uk & all the tube station airports has my mind in overdriveconfused

MaizymousE Wed 25-May-16 22:24:55

We can't do Luton as their only one flight that day out of Dublin

specialsubject Wed 25-May-16 22:25:10

If google is right, the church is near the Angel tube station. Get the Thameslink from gatwick to London bridge, then change to the tube and it is just a few minutes to angel.

Luton is at the other end of the same train line. You need to take a bus shuttle from the airport to the station. Gatwicks station is at the south terminal

2ManySweets Wed 25-May-16 22:27:35

To add to specialsibject's helpful post you'll need the northbound northern line (the black one) from London Bridge.

MaizymousE Wed 25-May-16 22:38:36

Thank you so much for helpful replyflowersi think it's going to leave it to tight on time to get their going by the train timetable... I didn't think it was going to be this hard I just expected to be going from Dublin airport into the city grin would you have a rough I des of a taxi fare would be it would between 4 of us?

Doublejeopardy Wed 25-May-16 22:39:56

Easiest to get the Gatwick train to St Pancras (NOT the Gatwick express) a taxi to Islington is less than £10 then.

Sorry for your loss

Doublejeopardy Wed 25-May-16 22:40:58

The Thameslink trains aren't going to London Bridge ATM

karalime Wed 25-May-16 22:43:11

I would say Luton.

As previous poster said the church is near Archway, you can get 2 stops on the tube or 10 minutes ok the bus to Kentish Town. From there you can get a train straight to Luton, I've done the journey myself and it's much much easier than going to Heathrow.

specialsubject Wed 25-May-16 23:03:07

double jeopardy thanks - wish people would update their travel planners! Sorry, op - duff info .

RainyMornings Wed 25-May-16 23:06:43

If you need a hand you can PM me as I grew up ver near to the area

MaizymousE Wed 25-May-16 23:15:29

No problem specialsubject just as I had it nearly all worked out smile thanks for your helpflowersthanks karalime I will have a look at your route in the morning.. Thanks also Rainy mornings I might have to take u up on the offer I'm totally lost!!

TriJo Thu 26-May-16 00:39:41

Dub in Archway here. My usual choice is Heathrow - partly because I hate Ryanair and am happy paying a little extra to avoid them, partly because the tube is cheap (either Piccadilly line to Holloway Road and walk or bus it up, or switch to the Northern line at Leicester Square).

MaizymousE Thu 26-May-16 13:25:03

Hi tri Ho it way to expensive to fly with another airline apart from Ryanair! I'm still lost ah!!

TriJo Thu 26-May-16 13:48:17

You'll be fine! Just avoid Stansted like the plague. It's just awkward and it isn't cheap to get a train out of there.

If time is less of an issue than money, sail and rail is around €50 one way from Dublin Port, but would take around 8 hours at the very least. You'd be coming into Euston and getting the Northern line to Archway from there.

I live ~ 2 mins walk from that church so do feel free to PM.

MaizymousE Thu 26-May-16 13:53:24

The flight are fine €40 with Ryanair... It's just how to get from the airport to the church that the hard bit from gatwick or louton

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now