teenagers going on holiday...whats the best way to take euros incase they lose them?

(19 Posts)
ssd Sun 22-May-16 10:13:32

is a pre paid pre loaded card the best way?

and passports, what happens if they get lost/stolen?

AnotherEmma Sun 22-May-16 10:15:06

Pre paid loaded card is the best way, yes.

Photocopy their passports, give them a copy to take (and keep separate from their actual passports) and keep a copy at home.

AnotherEmma Sun 22-May-16 10:16:40

www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards

ssd Sun 22-May-16 10:17:02

thanks emma

can the pre loaded cards be used most anywhere? they are going to a resort

Coconutty Sun 22-May-16 10:18:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coconutty Sun 22-May-16 10:23:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnotherEmma Sun 22-May-16 10:23:39

You can use the preloaded cards to get cash out from a cash point.

So I suggest they don't take much cash at all to start with, especially (as your OP suggests) they are prone to losing it!

MSE gives info on where you can use the cards, but in general you can use them anywhere ie if it's a Visa card, anywhere that accepts Visa.

AnotherEmma Sun 22-May-16 10:27:44

Coco there is a difference, most UK banks have a transaction charge each time you use your current account card abroad. The exchange rates aren't great either. There's lots of clear info on this on MSE
www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#yourcard

LIZS Sun 22-May-16 10:29:42

Take copy of passport,insurance, ehic etc and email to self.

MozzchopsThirty Sun 22-May-16 10:33:13

The pre pay cards are great, I have a revolut which you can top up with euros or dollars
I can top it up from my bank whilst I'm away

The bonus is no charges and the exchange rates are excellent

As a parent you could have the app on your phone seeing how much they're spending, top up as required

Kbear Sun 22-May-16 10:34:54

Tell them to put their spare cash and passports etc in the safe in the room - most hotels and apartments have them. They will need certain amount of cash to start with in case they can't find the cashpoint.

This is a valuable learning curve - look after your stuff!

(This will be happening here next year so will be reading with interest).

eternalopt Sun 22-May-16 10:40:02

When I go in holiday myself I take a FairFx card. They're excellent. Good exchange rates, and use it just like a normal card (cashpoints, shops etc). Much cheaper than using bank card.

eternalopt Sun 22-May-16 10:41:33

Oh, and if you lose it, loss is limited to what's on the card rather than someone having access to your bank account. Can be cancelled like normal cards anyway if you get there first. So I would put small amounts on and top up from here when needed

AnotherEmma Sun 22-May-16 11:05:00

YY to keeping passports and excess cash in a safe at the hotel (if they're staying in a resort there will probably be a safe in the room)

If they need photo ID to take out and about, an ISIC card is handy.

specialsubject Sun 22-May-16 11:26:35

if they are allegedly adult enough to go on their own, they can take reasonable care of their stuff. They can also email themselves details of their passports and travel insurance policies (or write it down somewhere separate) so they know what to do if they lose things.

if they have bank accounts they can just take a float and withdraw cash as needed.

they should also be aware of the exclusions in their travel insurance.

Orac Sun 22-May-16 18:36:17

They all have cameras. Get them to photograph passports and travel insurance documents. Also to have any e mails loaded up.
When DS did this at 18 he used the pre paid card. I wouldn't use it myself as there are better ways to do it but it's good for drunken irresponsible youngsters.
Also insist that they budget for a safe. One of DS's group flatly refused to contribute to the cost of a safe but the rest of them did.

BombadierFritz Sun 22-May-16 18:59:04

Mine have nationwide debit accounts - no charge for transactions abroad. I still give them some cash as well though

Creampastry Sun 22-May-16 21:07:10

Caxton FX - best on the market

ssd Mon 23-May-16 22:13:35

so if he goes with some cash and a pre loaded card with some money on it could he then top it up from his phone each day? providing he doesnt lose the phone first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now