passport help

(7 Posts)
tickleyourpickle Sat 21-May-16 09:15:14

I have 2 dilemmas - looking at booking a last minute holiday, somewhere in the EU, and looking at going in the next couple of weeks

1st problem, I got married a year ago and I've not got round to changing the name on my passport. If I book all my travel, insurance etc in my maiden name will I be OK to travel?

2nd problem, my DS passport is still valid but runs out in October 2016. Will he be ok to travel on the passport he has if its valid until October?

BikeRunSki Sat 21-May-16 09:18:26

1- as long as the names march in all documents, you'll be ok.
2- depends where you are going. Some countries want 6 months left on passports.

specialsubject Sat 21-May-16 09:31:29

If it is the EU then the passport is fine, it need only be valid for the duration of the trip.

And the other answer is also yes - it would have been a waste of money to change the name on your passport. As long as names match exactly on tickets and insurance you are fine. Change the name on your passport when it expires, if you want.

LIZS Sat 21-May-16 09:41:41

Yes to both.

Passport renewals are very quick atm though. If you renew your ds' now it will include the time between now and October on top of the vald period.

tickleyourpickle Sat 21-May-16 09:51:50

Thank you so much flowers

mummytime Sat 21-May-16 10:15:10

Lots of people don't change their name on marriage - so why wouldn't you be fine to travel on your maiden name (as long as everything has the matching names)?

Makemineacabsauv Tue 24-May-16 00:03:09

I got divorced 9 years ago when passport was 1 year old. I called passport agency and they said just to keep it in married name till passport ran out. I had changed my name back to maiden name for everything else and never had a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now