Help long haul holiday

(13 Posts)
kbedford249 Tue 17-May-16 11:47:26

Hello Everyone
Just needing some advise

I booked a holiday to canada, san fransisco and las Vagas before I was pregnant. Iv been looking forward to this holiday, however I will be 30 weeks pregnant when we go. I'm going for 3 weeks so will be 33 weeks when we return.
Im flying with British airways and American airlines
Im aware I will need a letter from my GP. My question is will I need one for the return flight or will it cover it me for 3 weeks?
Also any tips on a long haul flight?
would you go or not? I will loose the flight if I cancel which is £1000 each .
also any reviews on travel insurance Im thinking of using raven Hall as they cover up to 36 weeks.

Thanks in Adavance
Kate

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 17-May-16 12:23:55

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I would certainly talk further to both airlines before you travel.

BA state the following on their website:-

"For your and your baby’s safety you cannot fly after:
•the end of the 36th week if you are pregnant with one baby
•the end of the 32nd week if you are pregnant with more than one baby

After 28 weeks you must carry a confirmation from your doctor or midwife, such as a letter or certificate, in addition to your pregnancy record. This should be written within seven days prior to travel and confirm your approximate due date, that you're fit to travel and that there are no complications with your pregnancy".

AA state this:-

"Traveling during pregnancy

If your due date is within 4 weeks of your flight, you must provide a doctor’s certificate stating that you’ve been recently examined and you’re fit to fly.

Domestic travel

For domestic flights under 5 hours, you won’t be permitted to travel within 7 days (before and after) your delivery date. If you need to travel within this time frame:

◾Approval from your physician and a special assistance coordinator is required.

◾Your physician will be required to fill out a passenger medical form before your flight. (A special assistance coordinator will send the form directly to your physician.) "

I would seriously consider whether you actually want to travel at this late stage of pregnancy at all due to possible complications or going into labour early. You are also going to multiple destinations. Personally I would postpone the holiday and travel at a later date with your child.

queenofthepirates Tue 17-May-16 12:30:28

Congratulations! I would go for it and enjoy a last fling before kids arrive.
Try and pre book an aisle seat if you can-you'll probably want the loo more than you do now. Wear everything loose and don't be carrying your luggage! Get someone kind to do it for you.
It may be a while before you feel ready to do a big trip with baby in tow so enjoy this time now.

DrivingMissLazy1 Tue 17-May-16 12:31:07

I've travelled to Florida at 28 weeks pregnant. I took all my pregnancy notes and a letter from the doctor confirming that I was fit to fly.
I was very healthy throughout my pregnancy and was a keen gym bunny/swimmer so I didn't see any problems with a long haul holiday.
The number of flights you have booked would put me off a little.

DrivingMissLazy1 Tue 17-May-16 12:32:22

I did stand up and move around a lot on the flight.

kbedford249 Tue 17-May-16 12:51:18

I know its a long way I have my heart set on it now. I'm very healthy no complications and love travelling I am always going to on long haul holidays. I will only regret my decsion if i don't I'm 18 weeks now and don't feel any different.
(ok a little more tired)
I know it will change the holiday. planning on chilling in the pool drinking mocktails

so a doctors note will cover me for all flights or will I have to see one in America.

Thanks

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 17-May-16 13:26:39

You may feel differently nearer your due date. Your body is going to undergo more physical changes as your baby grows and your internal organs will be under more strain.

I would certainly talk to your insurers now and find out as much information as possible re their terms and conditions at that late stage of pregnancy. What if you do go into labour early?. What happens then?.

Seeing a ob/gyn for any related pregnancy care in the US could well cost a small fortune. Will your insurers cover these costs?. What if you gave birth over there. Quite simply the possible legal headaches of that scenario would have me postponing your holiday until your child is a few months old.

Please also talk to BA and AA before you travel.

welshweasel Tue 17-May-16 13:32:22

Make sure you get travel insurance asap so that it covers you if anything should happen between now and your holiday that means you can't go. I was v healthy, low risk etc, travelled to the Middle East at 20 weeks and Eastern Europe at 29 weeks no problem. By 30 weeks I was high risk, having scans every other day and delivered at 35 weeks (although almost had him at 32). Make sure your insurance covers the baby too, including getting them home.

mummymeister Tue 17-May-16 14:16:34

you need travel insurance just before or just after you book. so this needs to be done asap. don't leave a gap between booking one and then the other.

I think it is very hard for you or anyone else to know how you are going to feel this heavily pregnant. I felt great with my last one up until 30 weeks and then got everything under the sun. personally I can see both sides of this. I would say get your travel insurance now and then monitor things as you get nearer the time. make sure also that none of the flights have a change or go to a Zika area. something you need to be aware of just in case.

a lot can happen in 3 weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if your gp only gave you a 2 week note and you were expected to get a fit to fly before you came home.

kbedford249 Tue 17-May-16 15:28:00

Thanks everyone
got travel insurance today it cover labour the baby and my partner if i have to stay for any reason plus medical cover Ravenhall are travel insurance experts,
Unexpected pregnancy related medical expenses including Labour
Automatic inclusion of the infant for cover in the event that you give birth whilst on holiday.
Standard travel benefit to purchase essentials whilst away if your baby is born.

lets hope all goes to plan if not I can cancel and hopefully get some of the money back
american airlines said the gp note will cover me on all flights

Kate

IceMaiden73 Sun 22-May-16 15:19:00

You should get travel insurance as soon as you book flights, otherwise you are at risk

Hope the trip goes well x

Hersetta427 Mon 23-May-16 11:52:47

I went to the Maldives at 29 weeks (flew back 2 weeks later). I wore compression socks for the flight, drank lots and made sure I got up for a little walk once an hour and was fine. I had a high risk pregnancy (due to age and increased BMI) but completely uncomplicated and trouble free.

jo2107 Tue 24-May-16 15:48:15

Hi OP,
I've just come back from the Seychelles (12hr flight over 2 parts), was 27 weeks on my return flight, one thing i did notice was motion sickness, not massively bad but i did feel a bit ill by them time we landed, try having some relaxing music to help you wind down and maybe mints/ginger biccies to help settle your stomach? I made sure i reserved an aisle seat so i could get up as much as needed, i went with aisle seat in the middle block so that no-one would have to get past me. Get up and walk as much as possible to avoid your ankles swelling, drink lots of water. We spoke to our insurers but they told us we didn't need to declare it (worth calling though) the airlines might like to know up front so the stewards can keep an eye on you, at least that's what Emirates did with us. We had a great holiday and i'm so glad we went, yes you alter what you do while there but it's nice to have that break and it sounds like a fantastic holiday you have planned
Enjoy :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now