Help! Need luxury Devon/Cornwall holiday cottage for picky MIL

(20 Posts)
BeaArthursUnderpants Sat 14-May-16 14:44:15

I know there have been lots of questions about this but I've done a search and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, so if you would be so kind as to respond again I would be eternally grateful. We are trying to plan a holiday to Devon or Cornwall with our two DCs, ages 5 and 3, and my MIL. DH and I are usually not too picky but MIL is flying in from the states and she is used to luxury travel, and has very high standards. The good news is she's funding the trip, so I'm hoping it will be a nice treat for all of us.

We'd like to find a very well-appointed 2-3 bedroom holiday cottage in a "nice"/ upmarket but family-friendly area accessible to things to do for small children. (MIL would have preferred a luxury hotel but with the kids self-catering and separate sleeping areas work much better.). Ideally we would be able to use the car as little as possible. We generally prefer quiet rather than crowded but with small kids we need to balance that with being near things to do and other families.

We've only lived in the UK for a short time and we don't know much about Devon or Cornwall. Does anyone have suggestions on where to stay that my MIL and kids will both enjoy? I would love any advice on where to look, how to find a cottage, what to avoid, etc. Budget is not a major factor. Thank you so much!

Pigeonpost Sat 14-May-16 14:47:15

Have a look here. Fowey is gorgeous and there is lots to do. 15 mins drive to the Eden Project too.http://www.estuarycottages.co.uk/

ninnysma Sat 14-May-16 14:50:11

What about natural retreats - I think they may have some accommodation in Cornwall ?

ninnysma Sat 14-May-16 14:51:28

https://www.naturalretreats.com/uk/destinations/england/trewhiddle

SeaLionsOnMyShirt Sat 14-May-16 15:00:11

I can't advise on Devon, but we holiday down in Cornwall at least 3/4 times a year as it's just perfect for the children & so beautiful too. I've stayed here before, and it is lovely because of the direct access to the beach - www.aspects-holidays.co.uk/cornwall/west-cornwall/hayle/p/the-beach-house . I''m not sure if the area is upmarket enough for your MIL though, I have to admit, and you definitely need a car to get around. Perhaps have a look around St Ives, St Agnes, Mousehole, Fowey, Padstow/Rock for properties, there would be more to do in any of those places so you wouldn't have to rely on the car as much.

I also would recommend searching for self catering places on Sawdays and Pure Cornwall as they tend to have a good selection of more luxury places to rent.

When are you planning on going? A lot of the popular cottages get booked up a year or even two years in advance for the school holidays.

BeaArthursUnderpants Sat 14-May-16 17:18:04

Thanks so much! This is all very helpful. I know we are a bit late to the game as we do want to go this summer, but we are flexible on which week and we're open to different locations so I'm hopeful that we will find something. I will look into these and keep checking back in case anyone has any more suggestions.

CaurnieBred Sat 14-May-16 17:22:49

How about this place? The Valley

Whattodowithaminute Sat 14-May-16 17:23:19

We found soar mill cove worked really well as a hotel with young children. I know you want self catering but they offer kids meals and baby listening and the children's room was sectioned off from ours (but still contained within our own room if that makes sense?!) we ate at the hotel restaurant every night having put the children to bed and they were only 20-30 metres away. Good luck

CaurnieBred Sat 14-May-16 17:28:24

Or these Unique Home Stays

sleeplessinderbyshire Sat 14-May-16 17:29:33

Coast and Country cottages. Go to salcombe. Lovely little town/village right on the sea. On Devon coastal path. Loads to see and do. We rarely ever move the car when there. Tons of superluxy properties to rent (as well as the cheap ones we go to)

Haggisfish Sat 14-May-16 17:31:51

This hotel is lovely and has a self catering flat on site as well: treglos hotel.

okavango Sat 14-May-16 17:32:14

We have stayed here before http://www.bluemonkeycornwall.com

Lots of pubs too if you need to escape the house! smile

Cathpot Sat 14-May-16 17:37:36

Budock Vean hotel about 10/ 15 minutes outside Falmouth has self catering cottages on the grounds , but you can also access their spa , swimming pool, restaurant so that might be a half way compromise? It's a very comfortable friendly family run golfing hotel. Lovely grounds down to the water. I've been there lots over the years to the spa and occasionally to stay overnight when we've wanted a treat as its near home. The clientele dress for dinner and are mostly 60+. Food is lovely. . It's right next to trebah and glendurgan gardens which are very good for a run around with kids (trebah is my favourite place). You're a short drive to Falmouth which has 3 town beaches, a castle, the maritime museum which runs kids sessions and a small child friendly art museum. www.budockvean.co.uk/stay

Dowser Sat 14-May-16 21:20:41

If you're not bothered about staying close to a beach, chark farm on Bodmin moor is lovely.

Accommodation was quite spacious.

Looe was just down the road...snot fair, I want to go back!

hooliodancer Sun 15-May-16 10:44:31

Have a look at Polperro. It's a gorgeous fishing village on the south coast, really breathtaking.

Tycara and Seaways are very luxurious- and expensive! Both look amazing. I have walked past lots of cottages that ,whilst maybe not up to Tycara luxury, look very high end from the photographs in the windows to advertise them.

mummymeister Mon 16-May-16 10:18:25

when we stay in cornwall we stay HERE they have a swimming pool and farm animals plus a play barn for the littlies. are you looking for school summer hols or just the summer?

agree with sealions. if its school summer hols then there will be nil to no choice in the kind of properties you want.

have you look at visitcornwall website? search on 4 and 5 star properties only though I don't think you can do a date search now.

HemanOrSheRa Mon 16-May-16 10:37:35

How about this retallackresort.co.uk/accommodation-booking/?property=eden4#0608201607? I've had a trawl through the places I know in the area and this is free in August.

Wandastartup Mon 16-May-16 10:40:26

We have stayed at Fowey Hall Hotel before, the suites have separate rooms and a sitting room, baby listening & childrens meals.

LunaLoveg00d Tue 17-May-16 08:16:22

Another vote for Fowey, we have stayed at this property www.estuarycottages.co.uk/orchard-view which is lovely, has a pool onsite and very well appointed. Polkerris beach is very close by.

Chrysanthemum5 Tue 17-May-16 08:21:22

We've stayed at Gitcombe park in Devon lovely cottages, pool, tennis courts etc. quite luxurious if that's what your MIL likes. It is in the middle of nowhere though so you'd need a car to get around

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now