Am I brave enough to go on holiday on my own!? I'm single and I do need a holiday.

(20 Posts)
314inTheSkye Thu 12-May-16 19:53:10

When my kids are with their Dad I usually just kind of enjoy the peace but feel I should be doing more. I'll have a week off this summer and I want to make myself take a holiday. I have a few single friends but for various reasons, I don't think there's anybody who'd be free or willing to go during the same week.

Anyway I thought about a yoga retreat somewhere, or going to a boutique hotel in a nice town, or a hotel with a really excellent gym, but you know what scares me, that I'll get there and think this is so beautiful, and suddenly feel overwhelmed by how I have no companion, right there and then, and generally... kind of like, with time to think, I will feel not refreshed and energised but alone, like I'm having my holiday without a witness. But maybe I'll be fine and think I should have done this sooner!

Do people go on their own to yoga retreats or do they always go with a friend? My best single parent friend would not want to go on the same type of holiday!

Salmiak Thu 12-May-16 20:03:39

I went on a few solo holidays (pre dc)and loved them.

It started when I'd booked a long weekend in Venice with a friend and because of a work crisis he had to pull out - so I went by myself on a romantic break in a romantic city and loved it. I could visit what I wanted, chill when I wanted, and take things at my own pace. The only thing I struggled with was meal times (a lonely 'table for one please').

So my next solo holiday (had some annual leave to use up before the end of the month and no one else could come) I booked a holiday in a city and also booked myself onto a cookery course - had lessons in the morning, we all ate lunch together and then I'd go exploring in the afternoon. It solved the eating alone problem and I learnt a new skill.

I'd say do it - if you hate eating alone you can always get room service or bring a book with you to read whilst you eat.

314inTheSkye Thu 12-May-16 20:09:41

Thanks Salmiak. brew Glad you enjoyed it when you did it!

I'm in my 40s now. At home I don't over think what other people might be thinking!

I must google solo holidays, it'd be great if I could line it up with the dates my x will take the kids. That sounds good, the way everybody ate together! I'd be fine in that situation.

beesarethebest Thu 12-May-16 20:13:46

A friend of mine in her 40s goes on these single holidays with a group and it sounds amazing. She's been to Asia, S America and other places. Go for it!!

I love going away for work and it tends to be by myself. It's a huge break from being with kids!

daisydalrymple Thu 12-May-16 20:17:24

My sis went on a couple of solo holidays, specifically organised for people travelling alone. She loved them. Said there felt no obligation to be part of a crowd of people, she was quite happy by the pool with s book, but said it was great when there were trips she wanted to do that she didn't have to organise them herself or go places alone.

ABCAlwaysBeCunting Thu 12-May-16 20:19:50

Do it! I've been to south east Asia, South Africa and a few European destinations alone and it's always been great. I could potter around doing what I wanted, when I wanted and I met lots of really nice people - and lots of them travelling alone. There are lots of really lovely yoga retreats in SE Asia.

I've never felt uncomfortable or been hassled, and I've just taken a book if I've wanted a bit of peace and quiet at dinner. A single friend at work always holidays alone too and she's been to Canada, Iceland, Portugal, India and lots of other places.

malovitt Thu 12-May-16 20:21:14

I've been on a couple of yoga retreats alone without knowing anyone else who was going and it's been absolutely fine. You all tend to eat together anyway so there is always someone to talk to.
I've made some good friends from the ones I've been on and can thoroughly recommend it.

Trills Thu 12-May-16 20:36:50

I enjoyed a trip with Go Learn To

314inTheSkye Thu 12-May-16 20:40:21

Thanks everybody. I know it's a bit chicken but I'd be scared to go as far as south east asia the first time. I saw a nice single traveller friendly vegetarian yoga place in the west of ireland and that's nerve wracking. There's another vegetarian place yoga on the beach thing in canarias in fuerteventura! I'd do a singles holiday if I had longer than a week. I think a few days on a yoga retreat would be perfect. I admire anybody who has the drive to go to south east asia on their own. I suppose I feel a bit torn still, my kids will be in the uk and their dad only has them for one week! But in the future I could go on singles adventure holidays.

I am going to to do it. I'm going to google and google until I find somewhere.

Trills Thu 12-May-16 20:42:25

Something like a yoga retreat sounds good IF you like yoga - you have people who you are "with" but you can also get away for some time alone - pretend to be meditating if you have to!

ImperialBlether Thu 12-May-16 20:44:46

These yoga retreats in Greece look lovely.

314inTheSkye Thu 12-May-16 21:05:12

Wow. That one in Fuerteventura has very early morning classes, at 8.30! and then nothing til 4pm. Early start that. I like a lie in.

AnotherEmma Thu 12-May-16 21:10:57

Do it! Check out Skyros - they offer holidays in various locations for solo travellers, with yoga and other activities. I know someone who went to Skyros and loved it so much that she's going again.

314inTheSkye Thu 12-May-16 21:17:57

Thanks I'll have a look at that now.

314inTheSkye Thu 12-May-16 21:22:19

Wow, that skyros company has writing workshops in Greece! NEXT YEAR

Trills Thu 12-May-16 21:30:36

What happens if you go to a yoga thing but have a lie in and only go to the afternoon activities...?

Wigeon Thu 12-May-16 21:37:58

My mum has been on quite a few holidays by herself - including a retreat type thingie in Greece, several holidays abroad with the Ramblers Association (walking during the day - you can choose easy/medium/hard, plus a bit of sightseeing), and with her old university alumni association. Seems to have been a nice mix of some sociability, without enforced constant group jollity.

My sister (in her 30s) also went on holiday by herself recently, to Majorca, and seemed to have a lovely time! She just booked flights and a hotel and went - not a formal 'solos' holiday.

If you are thinking of yoga retreats, I think they are surely just the kind of holiday that people go on by themselves rather than with a friend. I'd go for it in your situation! smile

IceMaiden73 Thu 12-May-16 21:40:49

Have you considered going as a sighted traveller with Traveleyes?

Might be a good way to travel and meet people x

314inTheSkye Thu 12-May-16 22:28:45

Yes wigeon, one place mentioned that 80-90% of their visitors arrive on their own.

314inTheSkye Thu 12-May-16 22:30:37

Trills, that'd be me!! "Where's that woman we met on day one? Still in bed?!"
I'd make lunch though..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now