Airport approved toiletires bag - do they exist??

(18 Posts)
Millionprammiles Wed 11-May-16 11:45:45

I'm trying to find an airport appropriate clear toiletries bag. Would like it to be something sturdier than supermarket plastic bags as would like to use as an actual toiletries bag.

Have looked at Boots, Superdrug, Muji and Amazon online but can't find anything thats guaranteed to get through airport security, doesn't get bad reviews and doesn't take several weeks to deliver...

Has anyone found anything like this or is it a myth? Has anyone used a zipped clear toiletries bag through airport security?

INeedNewShoes Wed 11-May-16 11:49:45

It would need to be quite small, as most of the airports now restrict you to 'one small ziplock bag' of the type they provide.

I bought a set of empty mini bottles from Superdrug that came in a clear bag and I now use that clear bag when I travel. www.superdrug.com/Superdrug/Superdrug-Essentials-Mini-Travel-Bottle-Set/p/313604

I think if you had anything much bigger, you would end up being instructed to transfer it all to one of the ziplock bags to prove that it would all fit.

It's a pain, I know!

SavoyCabbage Wed 11-May-16 12:00:10

http://www.marksandspencer.com/3-piece-clear-cosmetic-bag-set/p/p22273092?prevPage=plp

I've always used one of these without any problems.

ingeniousidiot Wed 11-May-16 12:05:10

I had my stuff turfed out of a bag like the m&s one up there ^. There are quite strict on size & type of bag, the ones filled with empty travel bottles seem the best imo.

Fourarmsv2 Wed 11-May-16 12:07:44

I got a nice bag in Primark with Nivea bits.

Fourarmsv2 Wed 11-May-16 12:09:01

Like this but £5

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FNIVEA%25C3%2582%25C2%25AE-Travel-Essentials_1792884%2F%3F%26cm_mmc%3Dbmm-_-google-_-PLAs-_-Boots%2520Shopping%2520-%2520Category%2520-%2520Beauty

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 11-May-16 12:11:10

It's only the stuff in your hand luggage that has to be in clear plastic bottles and bag though isn't it and the sizes under 100ml, larger part used containers don't qualify.

Guidelines from the Goverment here
www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/overview

Have a look for clear travel bags on ebay, there's lots of choice.

CMOTDibbler Wed 11-May-16 12:12:10

Some airports will let you go through with those clear toiletry bags, some won't (in my very extensive experience of airports). I use a freezer bag (Lakeland zip as it happens - nice and strong), then the rest of my toiletries are in a larger soft bag and the plastic goes straight in there after security.

DrWhy Wed 11-May-16 12:13:17

It depends which airport you are going through. Some as long as it's clear plastic, roughly the right size and zipped are absolutely fine. A few will ask you to transfer just to check it fits in the standard ziplock and one at least (Luton) insist you use a 20cm square ziplock bag only - co-incentally these are available to purchase from them at £1 for 2 when I last went through.

Millionprammiles Wed 11-May-16 12:19:00

Thanks all - I might just give it a go with my own small clear bag and decant if I have to. I've an eye condition and eczema which means I need a fair few toiletries so no way will it fit in one bag.

INeedNewShoes Wed 11-May-16 12:32:47

I have eczema too. I have on a couple of occasions got away with two small clear bags, putting all medication (eczema lotions, epipens) in one bag and cosmetics in the other. You then have to appeal to the good nature of the security staff and say that your medication takes up nearly one bag's worth and might they let you have two bags?

Having said that when I've done this I know that I wasn't entitled to take through two separate clear bags, so I would have accepted it with good grace if it hadn't been allowed (and then had the annoying situation of having to bin some of the cosmetics!).

CMOTDibbler Wed 11-May-16 13:07:07

If you have prescribed liquids/gels, then you can take those in addition, but put them in a separate bag, making sure they have their prescription labels on - and declare them as medication.
If they aren't prescribed, you are only entitled to the one, small, bag

chemenger Wed 11-May-16 13:17:58

Look on the web pages of the airports you are travelling through for advice on travelling with liquid medicines. The usual rules (everything in one, correctly sized bag) will apply to the rest of your liquids at least. You may need medical evidence for your medicines if they are in quantities over 100ml and they may expect you to include the medicine in the normal single bag if less than 100ml. I would think that non-prescribed, off the shelf medicine is expected to go in the single plastic bag that you are allowed, unless you have some documentation.

Last time I flew I saw a woman taken aside because she had liquid medicine that she hadn't presented in her bag and I think they made her bin stuff to get it all in one bag (she had been silly in that she had not presented some liquids at all, just left them in her carry-on to be found).

chemenger Wed 11-May-16 13:18:36

Cross post, must learn to type (and think) faster.

chemenger Wed 11-May-16 13:19:04

If you are travelling with other people men usually have space in their liquid bags!

Millionprammiles Wed 11-May-16 13:46:56

I've got away with more than one bag before by putting them into the tray with other stuff - its not really been obvious whose bags they are. I might try using zip lock freezer bags not to stand out...

mrsmortis Wed 11-May-16 14:56:52

I've got away with 2 bags in the past. But one bag contains just my asthma inhalers. The other contains the rest of my stuff... I've had people try to argue that one though, even if it's just medication, and stuff you can't get over the counter...

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 11-May-16 21:16:42

Just to add to the thread, currently at Gatwick North they have benches with free plastic bags just before the security point, so you can stow your stuff in an approved bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now