Help us choose a Summer holiday that's not 2 weeks on a beach - family with 6yr and 3yr olds

(14 Posts)
Snappyteabread Sat 30-Apr-16 22:15:25

Looking for somewhere to go for 1-1.5 weeks in the Summer. Don't want to do beach holiday although wouldn't mind a day or 2 at the beach. Quite like the thought of going somewhere in Europe, eg Netherlands, Germany, Belgium. Don't particularly want to go out of Europe as that involves more travelling, and then time zone change etc which impacts the holiday. Thinking to do Air B&B so somewhere that we can do day trips from, but that has nice stuff to do wherever it is we are staying. A city or town perhaps with good transport links. I'm hoping that you can give me some ideas so I can actually get started rather than spending hours trawling the internet! We would be coming from Scotland, so would ideally have a direct route, or a simple journey at least. Also don't have a budget in mind as such, but not wanting to spend a tonne (vague I know!)

To put it all another way, where have you gone on holiday that's not a Package Thomas Cook Majorca type holiday that you have found has been great for you and your children, with something for everyone?

cbear000 Sat 30-Apr-16 22:41:05

Something a bit different could be Ljubljana and Lake Bled in Slovenia which are great in summer, swim and paddle in Lake Bled, the trains are really good, Ljubljana is small and kids won't get lost in massive crowds.
Croatia would be great for nice beaches but it can be quite crowded.

Emalushka Sat 30-Apr-16 22:43:17

Lake Constance on Germany/Austria/Switzerland border.

celtiethree Sat 30-Apr-16 22:51:41

Duinrell camping Wassenaar in the Netherlands is brilliant. Access to swimming pool and theme park is included in price. Good location East to get to Amsterdam and The Hague. Plenty of beaches, the town itself is lovely. Went when my DC were small and had fantastic time.

Snappyteabread Sat 30-Apr-16 23:02:09

Thank you!

Avebury Sat 30-Apr-16 23:07:11

With a 6 and 3 year old I'd go to the Isle of Wight if I wasn't desperately sun seeking

MangosteenSoda Sat 30-Apr-16 23:12:25

Came on here to say Lake Bled or Lake Constance, so I'll second both of those suggestions!

Misty9 Sun 01-May-16 00:04:30

We're just back from a week in Lake garda with dc aged 2 and 4 and would definitely recommend it. Expensive in summer though I think.

aliceinwanderland Sun 01-May-16 06:46:56

I am looking at Denmark (just started another thread on this) - which looks good. Sweden also another possibility.

ShanghaiDiva Mon 02-May-16 13:50:39

holiday parks in the Netherlands are pretty good - look at Romport (sp?) for details of the parks. We went to one in Hellevoetsluis a couple of times, but this was about 8 years ago and am sure there are more facilities there now. Near to the town so good for normal supermarket shopping, beach (but weather a bit dubious), day trips to Leiden, Delft, the Hague.
Have also done the following:
Lake Bled
Stockholm for a 5 day trip
Helsinki
Attersee in Austria

228agreenend Mon 02-May-16 13:56:42

I was going to suggest Duinrell in Holland as well. You can camp,or stay. In a caravan. Next to the site is a great little theme park which your Kids will love, and also a swimming pool.

Not far from the site are some lovely sandy beaches. Also there's lots of pretty towns and villages to go to. Amsterdam isn't too far away either.

We had a great holiday there a few years ago.

mouldycheesefan Tue 03-May-16 11:40:53

Hated Lake Constance! Isn't it funny how people differ!!

Janek Tue 03-May-16 20:08:15

Berlin! Loads to see/do, what with it being a capital city 'n all, and lots of lakes/rivers to swim in and cool off. Brilliant public transport, so everywhere is accessible.

rosy71 Sat 14-May-16 22:04:51

Duinrell, Holland. Free theme park; free water park; cycle/go-kart hire; close to a beach; walk into town; close enough to The Hague, Leiden & Amsterdam for day trips. We've been twice & the boys still want to go again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now