how often to stop...

(6 Posts)
artisanroast Thu 28-Apr-16 18:14:23

We have a big trip this summer from Glasgow to Portsmouth then Bilbao for a driving holiday with an 8 month old baby.

My husband thinks we can do long driving stretches of 6-8 hours with only one or two stops but I am unsure. I think we may need overnight stops.

I don't want to enforce sleep on my daughter because we are travelling then have her up and full of beans all night.

I imagine she will still be breastfed then so it's me who will do all the milk feeds.

I may be totally wrong so any advice from those who have done similar trips is welcomed

Thanks

allegretto Thu 28-Apr-16 18:21:39

Are you driving or taking the ferry to Bilbao? I would do at least one overnight from Portsmouth to Bilbao if driving. Is your daughter crawling? Being in a car seat for that long is not good for babies so I would take a rug or something and let her stretch out at service stations - if you are transferring her from car seat to high chair to pushchair for example, then that is not really good for her back.

IceMaiden73 Sat 30-Apr-16 11:11:28

I wouldn't have a baby in a car seat for that long it's not good for them

Kirriemuir Sat 30-Apr-16 21:48:01

With a baby that age you really need to stop every couple of hours.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 30-Apr-16 21:55:04

I agree with you that you will need to factor in a proper breaks. It's very hard to entertain an 8 month old in a car in my experience.

artisanroast Tue 03-May-16 17:35:46

thanks for the fab advice folks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now