Drive to Grenoble. Stop off needed.

(5 Posts)
revealall Mon 25-Apr-16 22:28:30

Have done a search on here but can't find specifics.

So we need to be in Grenoble on Saturday but can't leave Friday till after work. That will be the 5.30pm shuttle. So assuming it will be 7 ish before we can get going in Calais and we will need to sleep somewhere.
Traveling with someone who hasn't seen France before so ideally would like somewhere French for the night rather than a chain.
How far down do think is reasonable do we can eat dinner/sleep. Reims? Anywhere anybody recommends or would we be better off on a motorway hotel after all?

sleepwhenidie Mon 25-Apr-16 22:34:16

I'd say Reims, yes. If you want somewhere nice then the Mercure is good and just a few minutes walk from the lovely city centre so you could squeeze in a wander and a drink/dinner. There is a cheaper hotel just next door but I can't remember which chain...

sleepwhenidie Mon 25-Apr-16 22:38:35

Epernay, just down the road, is also lovely - all of the big champagne houses have their main offices (grand old houses, mostly on one big avenue). La Villa Eugene is just gorgeous, we got an amazing last minute bargain there and the DC's got to blow off some steam in the morning in the heated outdoor pool before we continued our journey South.

blush - sorry, I have just realised that the Mercure I'm thinking of was actually in Troyes - that is also a good option and the town centre I meant. We have stayed in Reims but not city centre. Troyes or Epernay more accessible as they are smaller.

sleepwhenidie Mon 25-Apr-16 22:40:33

Cheaper Epernay option?

revealall Mon 25-Apr-16 23:02:45

Wow! That was quick!

Thanks sleepwhenidie that's just the sort of thing I was after. Cheap but French looking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now