Holiday advice for August - want to avoid the heat!

(17 Posts)
Chica06 Thu 14-Apr-16 14:44:05

Hi ... we are a family of four (DD is 5, DS is 2). Looking for holiday in August, somewhere in Europe, not too hot though! maybe a lake (eg Lake Garda). Want family friendly accommodation, possible child care or kids club. Advice most welcome!

NicknameUsed Thu 14-Apr-16 15:03:14

What do you class as hot? I have been to lake Garda in August twice and it was about 30 degrees every day. You might find Slovenia cooler, or the North West coast of Spain or The Azores.

I have no idea about kids clubs because we never used them/avoided places that had them.

noramum Thu 14-Apr-16 16:06:59

You could look at Kinderhotels, they are mostly in Austria. I agree with PP, the Italian lakes can be hot if 30 degrees is hot for you.

France Atlantic coast may be a solution, I think colleagues did some kind of Eurocamp near La Rochelle once.

Germany is an option but there is not a lot geared for non-German speaking children.

Allinafankle Thu 14-Apr-16 20:00:05

I don't cope well in the heat and spent last July sweltering in 33 degrees heat at Lake Bled in Slovenia! Absolutely stunning place but the heat was too much for me.

LIZS Thu 14-Apr-16 20:02:37

Lake Annecy or Alps.

happystory Thu 14-Apr-16 20:08:01

Brittany or Normandy ?

Diddlydokey Thu 14-Apr-16 20:08:25

Belgian/Netherlands centre parcs?

Diddlydokey Thu 14-Apr-16 20:09:09

Eurocamp in northern France or Germany

TrixieBernadette Thu 14-Apr-16 20:14:57

I did Italy in August and it was horrifically hot!

Norway is beautiful in August. We are doing Austria this year. I don't like heat much, so like a 22-27ish temp

Chica06 Thu 14-Apr-16 21:33:49

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I am Aussie so don't find things too hot but the kids (born here in the UK) just don't cope with the heat. We went to Sardinia last year which was amazing but there were constant meltdowns and tantrums. We want to go somewhere where you can swim in a lake (or pool more likely with small kids), nice atmosphere, kids welcome etc. Will do a bit of googling based on your suggestions.

mouldycheesefan Fri 15-Apr-16 06:57:57

We went to German/Austrian lakes one year. It was roasting hot and very oppressive. I much prefer the coast where you at least get a breeze off the sea. Anywhere in August is likely to be hot can you go at a different time of year? Like may, Easter or end of season in October. I like Greece out of main season.

Branleuse Fri 15-Apr-16 07:01:09

Stay north, like brittany, normandy, or even le touquet & de haan have the most amazing beaches, but its unlikely to be too hot. Or maybe Holland or Luxembourg

BarbaraofSeville Fri 15-Apr-16 09:27:11

Legoland Denmark. There's a Center Parcs style place next door with chalets. woods etc and a waterpark/indoor activities all close together.

www.lalandia.dk/en

About an hour from the coast (quiet roads for driving or easy bus ride) if you want a change of scene.

You can fly to Billund Airport cheaply from Stansted on Ryanair.

GeorgieFarmerswife Fri 15-Apr-16 09:44:38

You should look at Le Camp in SW France, it has the most stunning natural swimming pond with beach area for kids, the tents are amazing and it could not be more family friendly. My kids had the best time, so did we. DidN't see them for most of the day! Website is www.lecamp.co.uk. We have been 3 times. Hope this helps.

specialsubject Fri 15-Apr-16 14:00:10

up mountains or in northern France. Or southern UK!

fitzbilly Fri 15-Apr-16 16:32:28

Scotland?

fitzbilly Fri 15-Apr-16 16:39:49

Georgie lecamp looks amazing but my god it is expensive!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now