Packing/luggage advice for long trip

(6 Posts)
justtheonethen Thu 07-Apr-16 08:24:57

I am going away for 10 weeks to Japan and Australia with 2 weeks in the middle in Bali and I'm having a packing nightmare!

Japan will be warm and humid/rainy, Australia slightly chillier (apart from the last week which will be boiling in Darwin), Bali will hopefully be boiling! Dp is joining me for the Bali part so he can bring any proper holiday clothes I won't need for the rest of the trip.

Any packing tips? Luggage tips? I'm struggling to decide what type of suitcase to take, what hand luggage etc. I'll need to be able to carry it alone and repack each week or so.

Are packing cubes worthwhile or a waste of time?

I literally have no idea where to start!

Toffeelatteplease Thu 07-Apr-16 08:51:34

5-6 tshirts
3 hot weather bottoms (shorts or skirts) or dresses
2 cold weather bottoms.
2 decent fleeces or hoodies
2 lightweight cardigans
1 packable down coat (eg tog 24 gilet or uniqlo down coat) (if you can afford it) or coat
1 decent pac a mac
1 "fancy" outfit.

1 pair flip flops
1-2 pairs of comfy walking shoes (personally I would ditch the flip flops and take non crocs style crocs and a pair of walking boots or trainers)
1 pair "fancy" shoes

Clothes wise if you went with that you could do it as a basic minimum if you wanted to travel lightweight. You want clothes that will all go together but layer up to much warmer if needed. So
bali:t shirts and shorts,
hot and wet: pac a mac t shirts and shorts,
Colder weather: jeans tshirt and fleece, Unexpected snow wink jeans,tshirt, cardi, fleece, down jacket and waterproof pac a mac on top.

If you are worried about washing beef up things as space allows. However if you ate looking to travel minimally you work on three of things is a good place to start as one you wear, one washing and drying and one spare.

I suspect seasoned travellers would say pack super light and travel hand luggage only (should fit). I think you need to have some dedication for that. There are lots of good you tube videos on packing light

I love packing cubes. They keep everything organised and make packing and repacking easy. I like ebags.

Toffeelatteplease Thu 07-Apr-16 08:53:44

Sorry forgot

2 swimming costumes
Underwear etc

justtheonethen Thu 07-Apr-16 09:03:09

toffee thank you! Great list! No way am I going hand luggage only, I am not that dedicated!

Excellent. Going to get some packing cubes and go and find some coordinating staples. 3 things makes sense, apart from knickers, I may have a heart attack at thought of only 3 pairs of knickers!

Toffeelatteplease Thu 07-Apr-16 09:43:11

It's my go to list for everything. Colder take thermal underwear and another pair of trousers. Hotter worry less about the cold weather bottoms. I don't travel minimally on underwear either.

You'd be surprised though. That list will fit (with more tshirts and thermals) easily into a large size easyjet handluggage sized. Clothing isn't the real the difficulty handluggage only so much as what you do with liquids.

Also think about what you need to be charging. If it is just (lots of) usb you want something like this then you can swap out the plug ebd of the cable for the equivalent one in your region of travel. You are travelling with a combination of usb and plug power needs something like this is better. (Although I can't find the exact make we have) They are good because they cover different regions in one thing and are fused. Some people take a power strip and adapter, but unless you have lots of things that can't be charged by usb but need to be plugged in at the same time I think that's a bit of a waste of space

justtheonethen Thu 07-Apr-16 10:03:20

That plug/usb charger is brilliant. In my Amazon basket now! Thank you, you're so helpful!

I think it's the liquids that will bother me if I go hand luggage, not ready to pare them down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now