which suitcases?

(13 Posts)
MyVisionsComeFromSoup Tue 05-Apr-16 14:16:09

Have a three week trip, including three flights this summer, and need new suitcases. I think we'll need three large (75cm) cases, probably hard shelled, and I want them to have four wheels for easier maneuvering around airports, but any suggestions as to brands?

I've been looking at these ones on Amazon, but the reviews are mixed. I want something which will last, but at the same time, I have lots of other things to spend the holiday budget on, so value for money is important.

What have you had you'd buy again, and also what wouldn't you buy again?

paap1975 Tue 05-Apr-16 15:06:41

We're very pleased with our Delsey cases which we bought for a trip to the antipodes and which have been all over the place since.

dementedpixie Tue 05-Apr-16 15:13:00

We have used the ones branded 'worlds lightest suitcase' for the last few years. They are not hard shelled but we found hard shelled ones wouldn't all fit in our boot so soft cases were best for us

Onykahonie Tue 05-Apr-16 16:19:54

We bought some of the IT world's lightest-type cases, for our trip to Australia.
They fit in loads more that hard shell cases if weight is an issue. They were easy to wheel around and came back looking brand new.

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Tue 05-Apr-16 16:24:04

hmm, I'd ruled out soft cases as the ones we've had before haven't lasted that well (although I may have overloaded them, and then trailed them through the cobblestones in Brussels blush). I'll have another look at those "world's lightest" ones I think.

Madbengalmum Tue 05-Apr-16 19:13:16

Yes, the best cases are samsonite cosmolite, they arent cheap but they are bombproof and last for years. I have had mine 10 yrs plus and they are still brilliant and get lots of use.

Pipbin Tue 05-Apr-16 23:06:07

I've been very happy with our Tripp ones from Debenhams.

Hersetta427 Wed 06-Apr-16 08:33:35

I agree - we bought the extra light 4 wheeled tripp cases from Debenhams. SO easy to use and hold loads. as they are all expandable.

maitaimojito Wed 06-Apr-16 08:36:15

Ours are from Antler and have lasted well. They have outlet stores where you can get them a lot cheaper.

I personally prefer the soft cases as I feel you can squash more into them, as well as fit them into the car easier.

janinlondon Wed 06-Apr-16 13:49:56

We gave up on hard shell when we found we could only open one at a time in tiny European hotel rooms....

Pipbin Wed 06-Apr-16 14:03:28

Really Jan. How small was the bed in that case?

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Wed 06-Apr-16 15:54:45

hadn't thought about space in rooms - one leg of our holiday is a cruise, and as it's so blooming expensive, we'll be four of us in an inside cabin. So hard shell cases might not fit under the bed. And first leg accommodation is also likely to be "cosy", although that is purely just somewhere to sleep, so space isn't so vital.

habibihabibi Sun 10-Apr-16 18:02:40

Since discovering they don't fit into hire car boots I have ditched the hard shells for Tripp duffle on wheel types. I now have four of the same size and they pack into each other. Brilliant both for storage and shopping expeditions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now