Eating out in Lanzarote - reasonable budget per day?

(11 Posts)
bettsiom Tue 05-Apr-16 08:23:24

We're going to Costa Sal in Puerto Del Carmen in Lanzarote in a couple of weeks- not going full / half board as want to eat out as well as in the resort so I'm trying to get in idea of a reasonable food / drink budget per day (we shall indeed be enjoying a few drinks!). We're a family of 3 and OH and DS (3.5) are quite simple eaters so I don't think we'll be going anywhere too fancy!

Anyone been and can give an indication of cost? Or even any recommendations / tips?

Blu Tue 05-Apr-16 08:52:47

We were in Playa Blanca and found eating out much cheaper than in the U.k. In the restaurants along the prom a plate of pasta was about 4€ and steaks (massive) about 10€. There are also numerous pizza places etc.
The pub-lookalike places were not really economical: nasty toasted sandwiches no cheaper than pasta in restaurants.

Menus are displayed outside so check before you go in, places a street back from the seafront are cheaper, the local beer is cheaper, as is Canarian wine.

Ask for specific eating out recs and priced on the TripAdvisor Lanzarote discussion forum: it is full of people who go several times a year and are almost obsessive about documenting everything!

Have a great time and do try and get out and about on the island a bit. We loved the Timanfaya volcano trip.

Blu Tue 05-Apr-16 08:54:57

P.S food and drink in supermarkets is much cheaper than here, so take shop bought drinks and snacks to the beach.
I bought wine to drink on the hotel balcony, too.
We found the food in restaurants to be v good quality.

bettsiom Tue 05-Apr-16 11:55:01

Blu that's wonderful thank you for the pointers! smile It's the first holiday since our honeymoon so we will definitely be making the most of it and getting out for a few trips.

magimedi Tue 05-Apr-16 12:09:16

Timanfaya is amazing - as is LagOmar - the strange half cave house built for Omar Sharif that he gambled away very soon after!

It's like being in a James Bond movie - well worth a visit & fine for 3 yr old as is all outside!

No1HolidayPlanner Wed 06-Apr-16 09:47:47

Costa Sal is in the Matagorda end of PDC, we stay in the old town so can't recommend any restaurants where you are. Eating out is much cheaper than UK.. And the food is good. Have a look at the PDC pages on Tripadvisor and you will get loads of info.
We are going back for third time next month.. We love it. Enjoy.smile

bettsiom Sat 09-Apr-16 09:38:33

magimedi and no1 thank you very much for those tips, looking forward to it even more now! Have a fab time next time you go! smile ps sorry for late reply, I am back in holiday planning mode today!

FelicityR313 Sat 09-Apr-16 09:41:52

Fish is fabulously cheap there - gorgeous whole fresh fish. That's all I remember (apart from Heineken being ridiculously expensive!). Eat like the locals, ask for chefs/waiters recommendations.

Natsku Sat 09-Apr-16 09:41:55

Save drink money by going into a restaurant, wait for them to bring you the complimentary glass of wine they like to give, ponder thoughtfully over the menu and then declare sadly that it doesn't quite suit your families dietary requirements and leave then go to the next restaurant and repeat grin at least that's what happened to us when we went there about 12 years ago (though to be fair, we did have allergies so actual reason for leaving after viewing the menu).

Blu Sat 09-Apr-16 09:50:49

I think you may have put them off that tradition, Natsku!

We ate in a different place every evening and some lunchtimes in Playa Blanca a few weeks ago and were not once offered a complimentary drink before ordering! Though in a higher end place we were given an aperitif, after ordering, and sticky free liqueurs at the end of the meal were commonplace.

Natsku Sat 09-Apr-16 10:12:00

Damn, sorry Blu, ruined your chance for free drinks! We always got a free glass of brandy after meals too - have fond memories of a tablefull of old ladies cheering 15 year old me on while I drank a big glass of brandy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now