Airbnb disaster

(6 Posts)
Professionaljuggler Sat 02-Apr-16 14:38:18

Just returned from a holiday in New York - 1st time we've taken our kids (aged 3,6 and 8) abroad but wanted them to meet my grandma who is in her 90s and lives there. Booked through Airbnb but arrived to find the apartment stank of bad drains. Suspect the host was aware of the problem beforehand as there were strong plug-in air fresheners turned on in both bathrooms when we arrived. Not fixed after a plumbers visit, so we moved out to my aunt's house after 1 night (which involved 5 of us sharing a small double and 1 single bed / sleeping on the floor). Airbnb refuse to refund fully even for the nights not stayed, as they say we can't prove that the drainage problem was not fixed, so - in their words - they have to 'side with the host'. Very stressful experience. Not sure whether to pursue this further or give up as we're all pretty exhausted and slightly traumatised after this experience - last holiday abroad for a long time (even if we could afford it!). What would you do?

VimFuego101 Sat 02-Apr-16 14:39:08

Did you pay on a credit card? You may have some comeback through them.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 02-Apr-16 17:55:11

Did you take photos of the apartments multiple air freshener so, do you have any written details from the plumber.

It is likely that you will get nothing back from Airbnb, this is precisely why it is better to stay in a hotel in NYC anyway. Many apartments are sublet illegally and practically all short term rentals there like you had are illegal. Do not use them when it comes to NYC in particular.

3littlefrogs Sat 02-Apr-16 18:08:44

Make sure you put the details on the feedback form. At least you might save some other poor family from going through the same thing.

Professionaljuggler Sat 02-Apr-16 19:14:08

Thanks for the advice. We didn't even see the plumber - he went in while we were out and claimed to have 'fixed' the problem, which he clearly hadn't. Agree hotel would definately be the way forward next time - Airbnb don't seem to take any responsibility for their lets so not sure what their fee is for! Didn't take pics of the air fresheners but wish we had now - good point. I've put quite detailed feedback on the form now so hopefully no-one else will find themselves stuck in the same situation at least. Don't think we'll be using Airbnb again! Thanks again for the advice x

Professionaljuggler Sat 02-Apr-16 19:14:59

PS unfortunately paid via debit - don't have a credit card as worried I'd rack up a lot of debt quite quickly, although this is making me think again about the benefits of having one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now