Ferries to France and then where to stay?

(8 Posts)
whatsagoodusername Thu 31-Mar-16 15:59:28

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for reasonably short trips by car and ferry to the north of France (or possibly beyond). We just did Ghent with some friends which worked very well, so there is talk of doing it more over the summer.

There are three couples, with four children 5 and under. We stayed in a cheap hotel before, but ideally something like a cottage where we can put the children in one or two rooms then meet up downstairs in the evening would be better.

Something near to the seaside would be great, but really just looking for ideas. If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations, I'd be grateful.

randomsellotape Fri 01-Apr-16 16:55:07

I have in the past stayed at a camp site called Le Grand Large near Cherbourg which has static caravans for hire. It is literally right next to the beach. If you could get caravans next to each other, I think it would meet your needs. It was a nice camp site when I stayed there, but that was over a decade ago, so I would recommend checking it out on Tripadvisor to make sure it is still getting good reviews.

Dowser Sat 02-Apr-16 22:33:06

Southern Brittany is lovely. About 2.5 hours from Caen, less from st Malo.

We had a chalet in Le Pouldu, camping du quinquis. Lots of lovely places to visit.

Sigh! I miss it.

BIWI Sat 02-Apr-16 22:34:53

How about Le Touquet? It's a lovely seaside resort, and not that far to travel.

jenpetronus Sun 03-Apr-16 09:00:36

I live in South Brittany (Vannes) let me know if you want any info

Blueberry234 Sun 03-Apr-16 09:02:56

We do ferry from Poole to Cherbourg then nip up to Barniville Carteret for a week a couple times a year, great beaches, walks a very quiet area.

Blueberry234 Sun 03-Apr-16 09:03:34

We are renting this year through owners direct

5Foot5 Thu 07-Apr-16 13:20:53

Dinard in Northern Brittany is a lovely family friendly place and only a short drive from St. Malo. You would find lots of rental places through people like Chez Nous or Owners Direct. We have had many properties through Chez Nous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now