recommendations for a fortnight in Greece

(16 Posts)
fandabbydozier Thu 31-Mar-16 13:45:06

Can anyone recommend a good hotel (or hotels to avoid) for a fortnight all inclusive in Greece? Kids are 3 and 8 months so it will be outside of school hols. I've been looking at the Family Life resorts through Thomson but just discovered First Choice holiday village and now I'm overloaded with choice! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hersetta427 Thu 31-Mar-16 13:57:31

We have been to the FC holiday village in Kos. Had a brilliant time - they are fantastic with Kids. There is another one in RHodes which is supposed to be the best one (but it comes with the largest price tag. On my list for next year is the blue lagoon deluxe. A Thomson family life resort - has amazing reviews. If my kids were younger we would definitely go back to HV kos - they are too big for the small water slides now though and want something a bit less tame!

fandabbydozier Thu 31-Mar-16 21:34:45

Thanks Hers
How did you find the food on these all inclusive? Is it just chicken nuggets for the kids or is there a good variety?
Thank you. I'll have another look at Kos.

scopello Thu 31-Mar-16 22:02:09

You may wish to rethink Kos unless you are not deterred by the thought of attempting to have a holiday in the face of thousands landing on its beaches in desperate straits.

fandabbydozier Thu 31-Mar-16 22:14:25

Thanks Scopello. I'm on maternity leave and embarrassed to say totally out of touch with what's in the news. Is it just Kos I should avoid? I'm wondering whether to rethink Greece altogether now. Just want a nice family holiday in the sun in June. Why is it so hard to find the perfect holiday?!

exLtEveDallas Thu 31-Mar-16 22:17:58

We went to the Blue Lagoon in Kos last summer and it was lovely. We also had the opportunity to go to the Blue Lagoon Village for 2 days (as an upgrade) and that was even better. I'd say BL was 3/4 star, BLV 4+ but not 5).

We didn't see any problems with the refugees. There were some in town but they were no trouble, it was sad to see them but not scary (IYSWIM). We were hearing all sorts of reports about '1000s of refugees' - we saw about 30 in one area of the town, the odd family camped on the road to town and not a single one on the beach.

We preferred BL as we liked being able to nip into Kos town (10 min taxi or 25 min walk) whereas BLV was very much in the middle of nowhere! Beach was better at BLV though. Kos Old Town is beautiful, the marina is facinating - lots of multi-million £ Boats. Bars on the seafront were too busy for us, but there were some wonderful little restaurant bars further up the hill.

Food at both places was excellent, entertainment was very good (hotel employed reps at BL were better than Thomson reps at BLV, but that's pers pref only). Waterparks were OK for the younger kids, not really exciting enough for our 10 year old. Both places had brilliant pools.

HTH smile

Hersetta427 Fri 01-Apr-16 07:59:19

There are certainly chicken nuggests if the kids want the) , but also lots of pasta, grilled meat, homemade pizza and beautiful greek salads and homemade greek food (stuffed vine leaves, mousakka, and gorgeous baklava)

Please also do not listen to the scare mongerers who will tell you that the island is awash with refugees. it simply isn't like that in coastal tourist areas - the refugees do not camp out on the beach whilst you are sitting on your sun-lounger and to suggest they do is harming the greek tourist industry and is completely untrue.

MyLlamasGoneBananas Fri 01-Apr-16 08:04:07

We have had a few fab holidays at The Aegean Village.

specialsubject Fri 01-Apr-16 13:41:02

even if you do want to avoid the places with refugees, a look at a map will show many, many other options.

I know you want AI, but try to be somewhere with walkable habitation for much better food. Also supports the local economy.

that place on Rhodes looks a possible. Steer well clear of Faliraki, which is one of the handful of Greek kiddy-drunk resorts.

fandabbydozier Fri 01-Apr-16 23:08:14

Thanks everyone, you've all been really helpful. Any more thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome. Hoping to book this weekend. smile

leccybill Fri 01-Apr-16 23:16:18

We went to Blue Lagoon Village in Kos a couple of years ago when DD was 2. We loved it, it's fantastic and the reviews are all correct. Fab for little ones. But I didn't like Kos airport, it is tiny - we were all herded into a downstairs departure lounge which was chaotic and felt unsafe. It has put me off returning there. Also found it quite windy on Kos - as in parasols blowing over and side tables being picked up by the wind.

We are going to Atlantica Creta Paradise in Chania, Crete in August. It is a Thomson Family Life resort. Managed to get a free child place so came in at £2.6k.
We go AI for the convenience but do eat out locally lots too - bloody love Greek food.

iamEarthymama Fri 01-Apr-16 23:20:14

Please please don't rethink going to Greece!
They have been overwhelmingly generous to the refugees while suffering under the austerity measures imposed on them by the IMF.

We go to Lesvos every other year, it is amazing. A truly wonderful place and children are treated so so well.

We supported local charities while were there last summer.
Sadly there are no direct flights from UK now so I can't really recommend it to a family with small children.
But I will definitely go back
This was the Mark Warner resort, we stay in a lovely little hotel in the village, where the owner makes the most glorious breakfasts.
eressos

I am sure other people who are more travelled in other parts of Greece will give you good advice.
Please let us know where you choose and how you get on.

paulapantsdown Fri 01-Apr-16 23:33:58

I totally see the appeal of them, but the AI hotels are killing trade in the beautiful Greek resorts. You will miss out on so many wonderful restaurants, fabulous beaches and great people if you stick yourself in one.

Pefkos on Rhodes for example. The best food I have ever eaten, the friendliest people, great beaches or stroll into any hotel and use their pool for the day. Five minutes from Lindos, which is stunning.

FuckyNell Fri 01-Apr-16 23:35:02

I'm going to The Atrium Prestige in Rhodes. Not been before but was swayed by excellent reviews

specialsubject Sat 02-Apr-16 13:06:17

Lefkada is also lovely, airport is Preveza and there are plenty of charters. You won't find AI. Recent reports on Nidri are very good.

much of Greece will have a good breeze in the summer. And most island airports are tiny. The tip is always to check in luggage and then go outside to wait - many airports have a cafe nearby. When you see your plane land, finish your coffee and stroll to the departure lounge. They take an hour at least to turn round the plane.

fandabbydozier Sun 03-Apr-16 20:55:16

Thanks to everyone for all comments so far. So the front runner is the Lagoon Princess in Halkidiki. Seems to meet our criteria, sandy beach, decent room size, access to town for alternative food options, good flight times etc. Has anyone been?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now