Which holiday would you take newborn twins on?

(26 Posts)
possum18 Tue 29-Mar-16 17:55:11

... If either! (I'm sure some people would rather stay home).

My lovely dad is about to become a grandpa to twin boys if they ever decide to leave my womb

To celebrate the birth of his first and second grandchildren he would love to take my mum, my DP, myself and the twins on holiday.
He can only have a certain week off work which will be mid Sept. By then the twins will be around 5 months oldish.

He has given me the decision on where we go, either 1 week in a villa in Majorca or 5 days at our local centre parcs.

Majorca would include a 2 hour drive to the airport, 2 hour flight and an hour and a half drive the other side.
Centre Parcs is an hour and a half drive each way.

I am swaying towards Centre Parcs due to the potential hassle of travelling, flying, hot weather, foreign health care issues with 2 newborns.

Any thoughts ??

CMOTDibbler Tue 29-Mar-16 17:56:37

Centre Parcs. Minimal hassle, max opportunity for you to get a break

Blu Tue 29-Mar-16 18:03:12

Majorca: enjoy the warmth, and a poolside holiday before the crawling and toddling start! Travelling with babies is not a massive hassle (I have no experience of twins but took DC to Greece at 9 weeks, and long haul at 8 months) and as long as your parents are reasonably fit and active the ratio of adults to babies is high!

MoreGilmoreGirls Tue 29-Mar-16 18:03:31

Centre Parcs gets my vote. I think that amount of travel with twins could be stressful.

Onsera3 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:05:35

Centre Parcs!

I've done 30 flights with DS and a few with DD now too. It's an enormous hassle.

2 hrs to airport, arriving 2 hrs before flight (you need extra with kids), 2 hrs flight, customs luggage (half the time buggy and car seats damaged) plus transfer you are looking at minimum 8 hrs!

It's just not worth it to me. All the disruption to their sleep, poop at inconvenient times. Changing nappy in plane toilet is awful.

I will say though, 3-6 mo is my ideal age to fly if you are going to do it. They've stopped pooping so much, they're not mobile so not so antsy about staying on your lap, and you don't need to cart around stuff for solid food.

I'm so tempted to staycation this summer. If only we could rely on the weather.

Ginmakesitallok Tue 29-Mar-16 18:05:38

Majorca no question. You'll not be on your own with your children and at that age they are pretty portable.

almostthirty Tue 29-Mar-16 18:05:50

We did centre parcs with ds aged 8 months and a big group of friends and had a fantastic time.
Going abroad sounds nice as almost guaranteed weather but I fear the unknown and personally choose the easy option.

Duckdeamon Tue 29-Mar-16 18:06:58

Both sound nice to me (and am normally not all that keen on holidays with tiny DC) but I don't have twins! Sun and warmth seem the main advantages of the villa: potential travel problems and delays at any stage of the journey the main disadvantages.

VoldysGoneMouldy Tue 29-Mar-16 18:06:59

Center parks, no question.

ceeveebee Tue 29-Mar-16 18:09:24

We did a week in a villa in Majorca when our twins were 9 months old. I think 5 months would be easier as no need to worry about food (assume will still be on milk) and can't crawl off into the pool! The flight was probably the worst bit, mostly me stressing about having enough bottles etc but it was only 2 hours - me and lots of helpful people on here can give you lots of tips!

LuckySantangelo1 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:10:23

I went to menorca for the week when my little boy was 4 months. It was great. Plus I wanted to make the most of taking him abroad while it's cheap! There's all the time in the world for centre parks.

hilbil21 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:11:14

Center Parcs. Flying with a baby is not fun - and I only went from Glasgow to Bristol!! X

Avebury Tue 29-Mar-16 18:11:26

I'd go and get some sun personally - stock up everyone's vitamin d for the winter. They are unlikely to be mobile so will be happy on your lap in the plane, will be past the stage of feeding every 5 minutes but even if you are starting to wean won't need 3 solid meals a day and can make do with chewing on some toast or a banana and with doting grandparents around you might even get to lie on a sun lounger yourself.
Next year when they need playgrounds and proper wearing out then center parcs will be ideal and plane trips with toddlers are awful!

AndNowItsSeven Tue 29-Mar-16 18:12:24

Majorca can't see the point of center parks with babies.

TitusAndromedon Tue 29-Mar-16 18:15:14

I currently have four month old twins, and I'd be very happy to go to Mallorca. They still sleep a fair bit and travel pretty easily. I've also had a couple of friends take their similarly-aged babies on holiday to Spain with very positive reports. By five months you'll likely be quite settled and feeling confident. They definitely won't feel like newborns anymore.

possum18 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:18:18

Thank you so much for all your replies, I like getting mixed responses as gives a lot to think about and decisions harder!

Not going to book anything until they arrive in the next week or two so have a little time to ponder over what you've all said.
Sun would be nice... But centre Parcs is so convenient.

Oh dear!

LadyStark Tue 29-Mar-16 18:23:34

Majorca gets my vote too, holidaying with babies pre-movement and weaning is ideal!

ShoppingBasket Tue 29-Mar-16 18:23:37

Go to Majorca but where they provide baby equipment. We did this with DS when he was 8 months, it was lovely because he would nap for 3 hours mid morning which gave me time for a relaxing coffee and a snooze in the sun. I was very laid back mother though and didn't mind not having home comforts as such.

Now he is nearly 8 years old and enjoys squirting me when having a snooze.

Give me a baby in the sun any day!

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 29-Mar-16 18:25:35

Whichever was less of a logistical nightmare so CP. Carseats/buggies/travel cots are so much easier to transport in your own car/top box. Dragging them on a plane?? Nope.

ceeveebee Tue 29-Mar-16 18:26:56

Oh yes forgot to recommend Babyfriendlyboltholes website which has loads of baby friendly places

Why only the two options by the way - what about driving to France if you don't want to fly?

sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 29-Mar-16 18:27:35

I'd go with centre parcs -

Babies need a lot of stuff which you can fill a car but not a suit case -

Milk clothes toys etc and they don't get their own KG - plus the pram (Majorca airport is huge to carry a baby to the exit)

Heat knocks them sideways - little shade on the beach - all the stuff to carry to and from wherever -

Couldn't get much in the way of baby food or milk - so you have to take it

Went with DD when she was 8 moths

DD plus twins to centre parcs at around the same age - much more relaxing!

AndNowItsSeven Tue 29-Mar-16 18:41:21

I have two year old twins btw to add to my comment. We first took them away age four months was the perfect time.

LizzieMacQueen Tue 29-Mar-16 18:45:52

I second the opinion above There's all the time in the world for centre parks.

Majorca is lovely in September and you'll have enough adults to help.

Good luck with the birth.

oldlaundbooth Tue 29-Mar-16 18:46:28

Center Parcs.

Lucky you, enjoy!

Peppapogstillonaloop Tue 29-Mar-16 18:50:15

Defo Majorca, once you are there no need to do anything but relax in the warmth.. Good ratio of adults to babies so you'll get a break!
What will you do all day with babies at centre parks? It's more for bigger kids I would have thought

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now