Your best holiday ever - inspiration needed

(8 Posts)
Rollergirlskates Sun 27-Mar-16 09:25:28

Want to book a 2 week holiday in July. It's just me and DH.
We're quite sporty / adventurous so don't just want to sit on a beach all the time.
I'm feeling uninspired! Any suggestions?

BarbaraofSeville Sun 27-Mar-16 11:28:11

Touring round Andalucia, southern Spain. We stayed in the mountains just north of Malaga and walked the Camino del Rey (old dam workers pathway elevated above a gorge that has now been restored as a tourist attraction), then had a couple of days in Granada, followed by 4 days in Seville, where we did a day trip to Cordoba from.

Other places in the area that would be nice to visit would be Nerja, Malaga, Ronda, Cadiz, Gibraltar, Tarifa sand dunes and Roman ruins and the Alpuljarras mountains.

Lots of old monuments to visit in Granada, Seville, Cordoba and Malaga and evening strolls for tapas in the evenings. However, this area is very hot in July so probably not right time of year - we went in May last year and it was unseasonably hot then - was too hot for a walking holiday - we spent a lot more time than planned sat in parks under trees.

Otherwise Scuba diving, maybe in the Canary Islands or northern Spain. If you don't dive now, you could sign up to a course done over a few days - not very intensive - takes maybe 4-6 hours per day for 3/4 days so plenty of time for relaxing and other things.

mummymeister Sun 27-Mar-16 12:52:00

I week sailing and windsurfing with ocean and elements in Vasiliki followed by an island hopping week.

or - 2 week trip to Canada or Belize (weather may be against you for Belize)

or - get some brochures from some of the upmarket tour companies, pick one you fancy and either book it or build your own tour.

Rollergirlskates Sun 27-Mar-16 14:08:55

Thanks!
Mummy what was the Ocean Elements holiday like? I've travelled with Alpine Elements before, which I think is the same company?

mummymeister Sun 27-Mar-16 23:22:27

Yes it is the same company. we had a week with them and really enjoyed it. apartment was pretty basic but right on the sea. huge breakfast, good selection of kit and coaching plus one day off from it and something on every evening if you wanted it. the bar food was good and well priced. would definitely recommend a week here.

nannyafrica Mon 28-Mar-16 12:15:42

Sri Lanka. We had an amazing time there. Great driver /guide.
South Africa. Self drive Kruger National Park very cheap and easy to book yourself..
Azores. Natural hot springs in forest, walks, whale watching.

BananaDaiquiri Wed 30-Mar-16 08:01:13

I was going to suggest Costa Rica, but not sure how you feel about going in rainy season?

ShanghaiDiva Sat 02-Apr-16 08:05:42

Most of SE Asia is wet in July, but Borneo is dry and so is Bali. Borneo great for trekking, national parks, kyaking, see orangutans, long house and some great beaches too.
Bali - some of the beach resorts are not great - Kuta eg, but Ubud is beautiful - temples, rice terraces, great restaurants. Friends of mine also rate Nusa Dua, but not been there.
Hoi An in Vietnam also dry in July - lovley old town, but probably not adventurous enough for you.
Canada - Vancouver, Vancouver Island and Whistler - whale watching, mountain biking in Whistler, good beaches on VI and some great museums too.
Austria - I used to live there - lovely in July and great outdoors activities including swimming in the lakes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now