looking for a good annual travel insurance

(5 Posts)
CheeseEloise1 Mon 21-Mar-16 08:36:50

I am looking for a fairly flexible annual travel insurance. We are going on a few short holidays this year. My mother is in a nursing home and I want peace of mind that I can get back if there was an emergency. Is there any travel insurance that would cover this?

Bunbaker Mon 21-Mar-16 08:38:24

I think it may be difficult because it is a pre-existing condition, so may be exempt from cover. I think the only way to find out is to ring around.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 22-Mar-16 09:58:27

Expect to pay a lot extra or not be able to find cover - it might be cheaper not to declare your mother's illness and sort yourself out if needs be. Self insurance is sometimes the way to go.

My Dad has been in very poor health for a few years now and I've resigned myself to the fact that if the time comes when we are on holiday, I will have to get home at my own expense. Even if I have to pay £1k or whatever for emergency flights, this would probably work out cheaper than declaring a very ill elderley relative every time I have bought travel insurance in the last 5+ years.

specialsubject Tue 22-Mar-16 17:38:42

the above advice doesn't not imply that you go without insurance, just that it might be worth booking flexible flights and cancellable hotels.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 22-Mar-16 21:11:33

Sorry, yes to be clear, I wasn't saying don't bother with travel insurance. Obviously, you must buy insurance if you are going abroad, in case you have an accident or illness, but if cancellation insurance if your DM is ill is very expensive it might be best to not tell them, not pay any extra and if something happens, just cancel and come home at your own expense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now