Carry on luggage and liquids

(25 Posts)
anotherusernameugh Sun 20-Mar-16 14:54:28

We're going away to Europe for four days and have decided not to check in luggage on the flight. However I'm having a few make up dramas. What make up can I take that won't be classed as liquid now? Eg can I sneak lipstick info a normal non liquid carry
On?

LIZS Sun 20-Mar-16 15:01:40

The maximum is 100ml of each and I'd have thought even a liquid lipstick is well within that. Just put them in a clear plastic bag do you can take them out at security.

anotherusernameugh Sun 20-Mar-16 15:11:20

Yep I know - my thing is, I want to be able to take what I can for a four day trip. Even mascara is classed as a liquid, for example, but I'm wondering if I can put something like lipstick in another make up bag, and therefore maximise how much I can take on board. You know, without being a security risk!

So for example, I can take powder blusher in another make up bag as its not a liquid?

NisekoWhistler Sun 20-Mar-16 15:15:06

What airport are you flying from? Others may be able to give advise on how strict they are. In my experience Manchester is far stricter than Heathrow for example.
Anything that is measure in ml must be <100ml and fit in the sealed plastic ziploc bag.
If I have a lot I get DH to put a few lipsticks in his bag.
If desperate I'd travel without toothpaste and deodorant and buy in departures or overseas

NisekoWhistler Sun 20-Mar-16 15:15:50

Yes powder can just remain in case and needn't be shown to security

Drinksforeveryone Sun 20-Mar-16 15:17:50

I put mascara, lipstick into the clear bag. I have small bottles for shampoo.

Powders don't need to go in - so powder make up over a bottle of foundation is easier.

If space is tight and you aren't too bothered about brands for shampoos/cleansers etc -then use lush shampoo bars, and bar soap. Or hope that the hotel supplies decent toiletries.

I tend to make DH pack a small toothpaste and a roll on deodorant and we share those.

Less is more!

Drinksforeveryone Sun 20-Mar-16 15:20:11

Make sure you get your plastic bag out of your hand luggage and make it visible when placing it on the grey tray at security.

I got my tray pulled aside as it was tucked underneath.

LIZS Sun 20-Mar-16 15:22:51

If it's in hand luggage it won't matter how many items you have, as long as each us less than 100ml. So there is nothing to be gained by putting it in a separate make up bag confused

Blue2014 Sun 20-Mar-16 15:24:31

Felt tip style eye liner and lipstick, powder foundation. Pick up emergency cheap extras in boots after security and leave them there

anotherusernameugh Sun 20-Mar-16 15:32:24

The issue is the plastic bag LIZS - everything liquid needs to fit in there right?

So in my non plastic bag I will put in -

- powder blush
- felt eyeliner
- one powder eyeshadow
- pencil eyeliner

Haribomachtkinderfroh Sun 20-Mar-16 15:38:27

One bag per passenger and it must be sealed. Normal lipstick should be fine. Why don't you look on the airports website? There should be detailed info on what must be put in the bag.

anotherusernameugh Sun 20-Mar-16 15:42:18

I have. But I have been told before at Heathrow I need to put lipstick back in my plastic, whereas mascara gets through in a normal bag. It seems to just be at the security guy's discretion tbh.

TheGardenOfEdenExists Sun 20-Mar-16 15:49:15

Mascara, lipsticks, cream or liquid foundation or blusher into plastic bag.

Powders, crayons, pencils into any old make up bag. I fly once a week out of London airports.

Bunbaker Tue 22-Mar-16 07:36:31

I don't see what the issue is. They aren't big items, so just put them in the clear plastic bag and take it out of your carry on luggage when you go through security. The other option is to not take any and buy it in the shops once you have gone through security.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 22-Mar-16 09:53:07

Remember that the airport definition of liquids includes 'creams, gels and pastes' ie lipsticks etc and after the sad events unfolding in Brussels right now, security will be very tight on Friday and it will also be a majorly busy travelling day at the start of the Easter holidays for many.

Don't make it difficult for yourself and everyone else by trying to get round the rules, however pointless they may seem.

redcheck Tue 22-Mar-16 10:19:34

If it's in hand luggage it won't matter how many items you have, as long as each us less than 100ml.

There's a limit of 10 items, actually, and the bag must be able to close comfortably.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 22-Mar-16 10:30:11

There isn't a limit on the number of items, they all just have to go in the correct sized bag and for it to zip up.

If you had loads of tiny sample sized things, that would be fine as long as the bag closes properly.

But if your bottles are 100 ml or close to, practically you will only have space for 10 or fewer.

redcheck Tue 22-Mar-16 10:35:43

There really is a limit... You are allowed a total of 1000ml, comprised of 10 x 100ml. Google it smile

Bristol airport: "You’re allowed a maximum of ten items in this bag."

www.bristolairport.co.uk/at-the-airport/passenger-information/airport-security

BarbaraofSeville Tue 22-Mar-16 10:50:27

I have never seen anyone at airport security counting items in plastic bags and there is no limit mentioned at Leeds Bradford Airport:

www.leedsbradfordairport.co.uk/at-the-airport/security

Or the official Government info:

www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/overview

Bristol Airport might say they limit items per bag to 10, but I can't see them enforcing this non existent rule. smile The limit is enforced by the size of the containers and the size of the bag.

If you had things like lipsticks, mascaras and tiny pots and sample sizes, you could probably get 15-20 items in a bag and it would be fine.

ThatAnneGirl Tue 22-Mar-16 11:55:27

I travel a lot and I've never heard of a limit on items.

I've a clear plastic make up bag from m&s and I use that. I don't take out my non liquid and gel items.

BertieBotts Tue 22-Mar-16 12:00:00

You get one plastic bag for each person flying remember and it doesn't matter who the items actually belong to as you're travelling together.

specialsubject Tue 22-Mar-16 17:36:45

liquids, gels and pastes are restricted. All need to fit in the plastic bag and each container must be under 100ml.

regs in place for 10 years for everyone's safety. If it gets found, it will be confiscated.

GirlOverboard Wed 23-Mar-16 04:58:56

Any solid cosmetics and toiletries like lipstick and stick deodorant can go straight in your cabin luggage. But more liquidy items like mascara and lipgloss should go in the plastic bag.

I always travel with hand luggage and the only make-up items I use the bag for are mascara, gel eyeliner, nail polish and a bit of primer decanted into a tiny pot. I use a compact or mineral foundation instead of a liquid. Toiletries take up the bulk of the bag. Then the only thing I need to buy is sunscreen once I'm through security.

As for the 10 limit item, I never even knew that. I've always taken at least 20 items at a time (sachets and lots of little pots) and I've never had any trouble.

Trickytricky Wed 23-Mar-16 05:02:54

Give some to your DH/DP for his plastic bag as he'll undoubtedly have less items. Make sure you share a toothpaste etc do not doubly up. You'll have plenty of space.

Fabellini Wed 23-Mar-16 05:28:07

Dsd2 flew to CDG airport in Paris last week with Easyjet.
She just had hand luggage and I bought her some travel sized shampoo, shower gel etc to take with her. At security she had to get rid of a couple of the bottles and was told she was only allowed 10, even though everything was less than 100ml - I hadn't heard that before and had assumed she could take as much as she wanted, assuming it all fitted in the one poly bag.
Perhaps it depends on the individual security officer how strictly they adhere to the rules, but as a pp said, after the events of yesterday, I'd imagine everyone is going to be very strict indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now