First holiday abroad

(12 Posts)
Mumof2fablittlemonkeys Sun 13-Mar-16 15:04:38

Hi
We have 2 boys, one 4 in may and the other 17 months. We have only holidayed in the UK with them but are thinking of going abroad (given one under 2 would be free on a plane!!), any advice on where to go? Thinking France, Italy or somewhere that sort of distance, wanting to go may or June and don't want anything too commercial (ie we weren't thinking of hotels with kids clubs etc) just wondering what areas people would say are good
Any help appreciated, want it to be as easy as possible
Thanks 😉

Drinksforeveryone Sun 13-Mar-16 18:25:58

Keep it all simple is my recommendation.

DS' first holiday abroad was when he was 17 months. We went to Fuengirola - it was May so not too busy.

Nice short flight, hotel on half board so was easy to find foods for him. Nothing exciting - but just nice to be able to play on the beaches and in the pool.

Mumof2fablittlemonkeys Sun 13-Mar-16 19:21:10

Thanks, yes thinking simple, beaches, half board or self catering just wanting ideas of places that incorporate that really, nothing manic, the kids will provide that!!

Makemineacabsauv Sun 13-Mar-16 22:56:48

When ds was a baby we went to the paradise village in Cala d'en Bosch in menorca. It was perfect out of season! Lovely place with pools etc and apartments had a bath and were very spacious. Just across the road from shopping centre and main resort area - the locals are so good with children too. One night ds wanted a bottle the minute our meal came and I was told to give him to the wee granny of the restaurant owner! They heated up the bottle and granny fed him and say with him while we had our meal. She moved to where we could see her with him without anyone saying anything before anyone says anything about handing my baby to a stranger !! It was just perfect.

mouldycheesefan Mon 14-Mar-16 06:45:06

Don't underestimate the value of a kids club. Your four year old may well enjoy an hour to two of playing inside in the air conditioning if it's hot and you may enjoy having a little break from entertaining him. Things my kids had done with kids club by age 4, riding ponies, sailing, speed boats, swimming, treasure hunts, tennis, making cookies or pizza, dancing, fishing, playing on the beach etc. A kids club with qualified nannies and lots of fun activities can make your holiday relaxing. The nannies may also babysit for you in the evening so you can have a romantic meal for two at some point. Places with kids clubs also tend to do early kids teas, have a kids pool and be well equipped with baby stuff.
Lots of very nice classy resorts have kids clubs, it doesn't have to be butlins.

Costacoffeeplease Mon 14-Mar-16 06:59:42

What about the Algarve? I live in Carvoeiro - smallish village, nice beach, lots of self catering apartments/villas, a few hotels, lots of restaurants - there's a thread on here that I started last summer which might give you a feel for the place?

Mumof2fablittlemonkeys Mon 14-Mar-16 15:49:26

Thanks for the help so far. It's not that I think places wuth kids clubs aren't classy etc (done hoseasons over here and was great) just not wanting to spend the extra money and wanting something more "off the beaten track" as it were, though maybe making a rod for our own backs with that, so undecided I guess. If you have any good places that you've been that we could look at, the idea of some me and hubby time sounds good, we don't have chance to do stuff together as no extended family assistance so guess it's never really occurred to me!!

mouldycheesefan Mon 14-Mar-16 16:44:22

Hoseasons is not regarded as classy lol!

mouldycheesefan Mon 14-Mar-16 16:48:04

But as you will have found with hoses sons that doesn't matter, places that are set up for families and kids make a holiday easier for parents and therefore the parents get an actual holiday rather than a change of scene! I can't personally r commend anywhere in France or Italy, we have only done Eurocamp in France when the kids were really little self catering which was great for that age but you sound like you prefer a small hotel or similar.
Have a great time wherever you go!

Mumof2fablittlemonkeys Mon 14-Mar-16 17:03:56

Thanks. I agree wasn't classy but out of season wasn't too busy and to be fair spent most the time at the beach. Thank you

adancopper Wed 16-Mar-16 06:56:56

Hi,
I know you said that you dont want travel too long, but i still want to recommened you to Southeast Asia which is beautiful land and cheap countries.
Happy travels!

Mumof2fablittlemonkeys Wed 16-Mar-16 19:49:09

Thanks, I would love to go someday, just darent at the moment, not with both being little, I'm a coward!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now