Passport runs out in August

(8 Posts)
fancyacoffee Fri 11-Mar-16 10:11:39

Travelling to Tenerife on 23rd March, passport out of date on Aug 11th. Is this OK? Tried calling the Spanish embassy, can't get through! Thanks xx

DrDreReturns Fri 11-Mar-16 10:14:24

Should be I think. DW travelled to the Netherlands on a passport with only a month left on it last year.
If it's a non EU country I think you have to be more careful.

meditrina Fri 11-Mar-16 10:16:39

Are you talking about. British passport?

Assuming yes, for all travel within EU the only requirement for nationals of member states is that your travel document is valid for the proposed dates of travel. It's prudent to have a bit left over, in case of emergency or other delay, but not a requirement.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 11-Mar-16 10:23:44

It's ok, unless you fall ill or have an accident, or one of the family does, and you have to stay longer than planned.
I'd renew it. You'll need to before your next trip anyway.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 11-Mar-16 10:29:47

I would contact the airline. Sometimes they state that you must have 6 months left.

fancyacoffee Fri 11-Mar-16 10:33:36

Thanks everyone - appreciate it xx

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 11-Mar-16 12:22:54

From the Foreign Office Travel website on Spain:-

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. This applies to the whole of Spain, including the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands (Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza and Formentera.

You will be okay but I would get your passport renewed upon your return.

specialsubject Sat 12-Mar-16 10:15:29

it's fine. Canaries in EU. Passport only needs to be valid for duration of trip. That would be quite an extended holiday!

send it off on your return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now