Jersey with a toddler

(6 Posts)
Swannykazoo Mon 07-Mar-16 11:07:08

Looking at places for a beachy but not totally washed out if it rains holiday with me and DS who'll be 2 and a bit this summer. Jersey looks nice though my grandparents always went so I'm slightly worried I might be a bit young, Though clearly too old and grey and mumsy for Magaluf. Any experience here? Ideally I'd like to stay somewhere where the beach was close, and maybe a few pub/cafes for tea close by. Is the Durrel wildlife park any good?

AuntieStella Mon 07-Mar-16 12:10:53

Durrell Zoo is lovely (and a seriously conservation organisation), and you can stay there in yurts if you want to.

As Jersey is so small, arguably everywhere is near a beach! Have a look at hotels in St Brelade's Bay (ie the bay itself, so they're right by the beach) or try the Merton (inland a bit, but very good water complex).

ifigoup Mon 07-Mar-16 12:21:24

Jersey is lovely for a toddler. The beaches are safe and fun to explore even if it's raining - you can go rockpooling etc. The best beach for kids is St Brelade's Bay, but it's less dramatic scenery-wise than St Ouen's Bay.

There's a land train that goes along St Aubin's Bay from St Helier to St Aubin and back.

Durrell is brilliant for all ages!

There are plenty of parks and playgrounds - Coronation Park at Millbrook is especially good for toddlers.

There's an indoor leisure centre, Fort Regent, if the weather is really horrid. It's free to get in but then you pay for activities individually.

There's a good list of ideas at www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/jersey

Just bear in mind that a lot of stuff is seasonal and not open all year round.

Swannykazoo Mon 07-Mar-16 12:26:42

Brilliant. Rent a car I assume? (though the land train will be getting serious votes from DS - Gertrude being a miniature locomotive is a favourite)

AuntieStella Mon 07-Mar-16 12:35:57

Yes, renting a car makes it all very easy.

With a toddler, other places to visit IMO are the Steam Museum (middle of nowhere) and the Maritime Museum in St Helier (which has dress up, and lots on hands on stuff).

Don't bother with the Living Legend (most activities are aimed at much older DC) or Elizabeth Castle, but Mont Orgueil Castle might be worth a visit (warning, hazardous staircases). You could take the car to beaches at Greve de l'Ecque or Plemont (good cafe, but lots of steps down to the beach - which vanishes at high tide) or go on to the beach at Gorey after visiting the castle (little playground level with the village, down a bit from the harbour, and usually an ice cream van in the car park).

5Foot5 Fri 11-Mar-16 14:07:34

It is years since we were there but just before DD was 2 we went to Jersey and stayed at the Merton which was very family friendly and had a lovely indoor pool with slides and things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now