Probs stupid question but how do you change nappy of 14mo on plane?

(11 Posts)
ParsleyTheLion1 Thu 03-Mar-16 16:33:29

This is probably really obvious to most people, but not to me! I've been trying to envisage how I will do it....but I can't.

exexpat Thu 03-Mar-16 16:37:04

There is usually at least one toilet with a fold-down changing table on the plane, in my experience, though I can't answer for really budget airlines. If they are too wriggly by that age, I think I used to put the loo seat down, get the toddler to stand on it and change him/her standing up (we were using pull-up style nappies by then).

ceeveebee Thu 03-Mar-16 16:40:34

How long is the flight? I used to change immediately before getting on the plane and hope that they don't poo until after landing! But yes there is usually a fold down changing table if needed

Babytalkobsession Thu 03-Mar-16 17:55:43

I did a short internal flight, think it was easy jet and there weren't any fold down tables! DS chose that moment to do the smelliest poo ever. Hostess suggested changing on an empty seat but I just couldn't inflict it in the other passengers.

Ended up putting the toilet seat down and getting him to stand up on it holding onto the sink behind, legs spread. For the first time I his life he was compliant (about 17 months old).

We got a round of applause from a stag do when we came out grin

Hersetta427 Fri 04-Mar-16 15:10:18

On budget airlines there is usually only one loo with baby change facilities - usually one of the rear ones so you may want to sit there rather than nearer the front. Agree that pull ups maybe easier and getting them to stand up.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 04-Mar-16 18:13:50

I would do it standing up and use pull ups.

CatsAreLikeChocolates Fri 04-Mar-16 18:22:16

How do you change a nappy on a plane?

With a great deal of sodding difficulty, that's how!

Seriously though, most planes have a fold down table over the loo which leaves next to no standing space in the toilet. Best to take your DH/DP to stand like a bouncer next to the open loo door and hand you things as you shout for them like some sort of surgeon "scalpel, wipes, clean nappy" etc and perhaps mop your sweating brow. (Might've watched too much Holby City). It's an epic nightmare, particularly if DC takes the opportunity to generate some sort of hideous poo-nami. Pull-up are easier once little one is a bit bigger. Good luck!

ParsleyTheLion1 Fri 04-Mar-16 19:39:43

Thanks all. It sounds a bl**dy nightmare and I was right to be nervous. Think I may cancel holiday wink

ParsleyTheLion1 Fri 04-Mar-16 19:40:44

I have bought some pull-ups ages ago but never used them.... how does it work with a big sloppy poo? Presumably you would still need to lie baby down to give good wipe?

FishWithABicycle Fri 04-Mar-16 19:44:47

No, you can tell the child to face away and touch their toes and you can do all the wiping you need with no lying down. Choose clothing carefully and have a spare change of clothes in case it all goes wrong

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Mar-16 19:46:38

Years ago I was sat on a plane next to a random stranger with a baby who had this problem. Was only a wee, not a stinky poo. So I quickly stood in the aisle and she used my seat with a changing mat underneath! Took 30 seconds and the woman seemed grateful.

Air hostess went bonkers. Came barreling down the aisle shrieking at me - think she thought we were together.......ranting that the baby should be changed in the toilet, etc.

So nice to see that some stewards say use an empty seat but they don't all agree with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now