Holiday home in Turkey

(14 Posts)
Adgefox Tue 01-Mar-16 15:38:12

One of my work colleagues has a holiday apartment in Turkey that they will loan out for a charge to people they know. As it is not much booked up so far they have thrown it open to us at work on our team. It all sounds very cheap as we would not be charged much for the accommodation. It is in a major tourist spot in Turkey.

The holiday apartment is close to the uk airport and the Turkish airport too so travel is easy.

I am tempted but not sure because of the situation across the border in Syria. Dh is not happy to go at all.

Would you go?

howtorebuild Tue 01-Mar-16 15:41:34

It's free for a reason. No I would not go.

Madblondeog Tue 01-Mar-16 15:43:06

Where in Turkey is it? Its a big country!

Adgefox Tue 01-Mar-16 15:46:23

I think it is Antalya, close to a beach and lots of hilly steps apparently.

FortyFacedFuckers Tue 01-Mar-16 15:49:52

I wouldn't risk it.

antimatter Tue 01-Mar-16 15:49:54

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Adgefox Tue 01-Mar-16 15:54:53

Thank you all, and especially antimatter.

I looked at the link and it is a no go for us - dh is right.

timetobackout Tue 01-Mar-16 16:06:59

Over 2 and half million British tourists travel trouble free in the vast majority
of cases,so what other advice in the link provided spooked you, unless you
are going to attend anti government protests.

specialsubject Tue 01-Mar-16 16:48:02

Antalya looks to be a long way from Syria and is certainly well outside the no-go zone.

Madblondeog Tue 01-Mar-16 16:52:48

I would still go, well actually I am going - just as safe there as London in my mind

Adgefox Tue 01-Mar-16 21:51:53

It was just too close to the red zone for my liking.

I am not an experienced traveller and neither is dh. I remember last year there was an incident on a Moroccan beach where a gunman opened fire on sunbathers. I think being so close to the border with Syria would worry me and I would not be able to relax.

Hersetta427 Wed 02-Mar-16 08:16:05

I would - the border is an 18 hr drive !!

You are more at risk in central London.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Fri 04-Mar-16 18:20:43

There is absolutely no problem in Antalya, I know someone who lives there and she is perfectly happy there. It is a very long way from the troubles, which are about 16 hours drive away and if you look at the government advice it doesn't say any thing about Antalya.

I would happily go there, Turkey is a beautiful country, the people are so friendly.

There is too much scaremongering about Turkey unfortunately at the moment, which is sad as the resorts are as safe as anywhere else on the Mediterranean.

NoodleNuts Fri 04-Mar-16 19:16:05

I think you will find that the incient that you are describing happened in Tunisia, not Morocco.

Anyway, I would definitely go. Antalya is miles away from the Syrian border and as others have said, you are probably more at risk in London.

I'm going to Turkey for the 3rd year in a row in May and can't wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now