Cabins on a ferry

(9 Posts)
romanrainsalot Tue 01-Mar-16 10:25:21

This is a daft question I know, but here goes. I'm looking at taking the overnight ferry to Belfast from Liverpool. I want to take DS (age 4).

How child-friendly/safe are the cabins in terms of internal locks on the doors?
Would a 4 year old be able to open them from inside or does it need a key, have a key chain etc?

MissTessmacher Tue 01-Mar-16 10:30:44

I've done that exact crossing a few times with the DC. As far as I can remember the doors are key card activated. No locks. So you insert the card to open. I can't remember if they lock automatically once you're inside iyswim. They're also really heavy and swing closed as soon as you let go. I know my 4 year old wouldn't have been able to pull it open.

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Tue 01-Mar-16 10:37:01

We've done the Rotterdam to Hull (and back) overnight ferry with 3 kids a couple of times - first time the kids will have been about 6, 4 and 1, second time a year older. None of them escaped (though older two are relatively sensible types and wouldn't have tried) and I agree the doors are too heavy for pretty much any 4 year old, and were card operated. IMO the cabins were lovely, probably safer for preschoolers than most hotel rooms as everything is fastened down - sea crossing proof doubles as child proof (and its a massive bonus when rooms sleep 5) grin

Our kids really enjoyed the crossings - they were the most holiday like part of the trips, which were visits rather than holidays.

There is children's entertainment early in the evening (on the Rotterdam/ Hull ferry anyway). Evening meal was a bit of a rip off though.

FreeButtonBee Tue 01-Mar-16 10:45:52

How big are the berths? Could two small 3 yos top and tail in one?

romanrainsalot Tue 01-Mar-16 10:51:59

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to it

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Tue 01-Mar-16 10:54:07

Free you have to pay for a birth per person regardless of whether anyone shares. In the 5 birth cabins on the Rotterdam/ Hull ferry there is a decent double, a single bottom bunk and 2 top bunks. Two small 3 yos could easily top and tail, but you would still have to book and pay for a cabin with a birth each (or two cabins if there are more of you than fit in the biggest cabin, which I think the 5 birth one was on that crossing).

Schwabischeweihnachtskanne Tue 01-Mar-16 10:54:58

*berth not birth obviously! shock blush

Yes, the doors have a key card like a hotel. When you're inside, there is a latch you can turn to stop the door being opened.

And as above, they weigh a ton.

Also, the cabin is basically two bunk beds with a 3 foot gap between them, I think you would notice your 4yo getting out of bed unless you're a spectacularly heavy sleeper!

FreeButtonBee Tue 01-Mar-16 15:29:26

Oh don't worry. We've booked a 4 berth cabin for 5 of us but I will be with the baby and I'm not sure I trust my 3uo ds on the top bunk in the Irish Sea! So wanted to too and tail them on a bottom bunk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now