How the best way to feed baby while travelling?

(21 Posts)
lilybeansmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 16:54:19

I'm going to Florida in 3 weeks with a 4 month old! I had originally decided to buy disposable bottles to use while travelling and while in the Disney parks so I'm not having to carry loads of bottles and can just chuck them once used so no need to worry about sterilising them! The only problem is the disposable bottles only come with fast flow teats which I can't change and they nearly choke my poor ds! I can manage with normal bottles in the parks even though it's not ideal having to rinse out bottles ( don't want left over milk going off 😷) but I need 11 feeds worth of bottles for travelling and won't be able to sterilise inbetween! How on earth does anyone else managed to do long journeys with baby's and sort their feeds?? Seriously stressed mummy here!! 😱

WorkingBling Tue 23-Feb-16 17:09:19

Have you tried the disposable pre filled bottles? I gave dd those as a newborn and they were fine - one small hole. We used cow and gate ones but I think scent does them too.

I also think that when I travelled with ds once I bought some sterilising tablets for emergencies. If I recall correctly, they worked quite wuickly so my plan was to use the bathroom sink or ask the staff on board to help out with a container.

Do you really need 11 bottles for travelling? Are you stopping somewhere along the way? In which case the sterilising tabs will definitely work as an option mid way. When we travel to South Africa though I take 6 sterile bottles for one overnight trip so I do appreciate the need to be prepared n

HeadDreamer Tue 23-Feb-16 17:09:56

I think you can guess the answer grin

I did a flight to Melbourne last year. With a transfer, it's over 24 hours!

Tbh, I assume most people with newborns don't go long haul. They tend to travel within the UK.

Flossieflower01 Tue 23-Feb-16 17:10:38

Breastfeed? Very easy when travelling!

WorkingBling Tue 23-Feb-16 17:14:25

Flossie - not helpful.

GreenSand Tue 23-Feb-16 17:21:09

Do your bottles take liners? Could you take sterilised teats and liners, and reuse the outer bottle, just rinsed in hot water?

Sorry, never bottle fed, so don't know if that's possible or not.

lilybeansmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 17:22:34

No breastfeeding is not an option as I had to stop that long ago! sad Yes I'll need 11 as he's still not taking huge feeds and eats about every 2 hrs! We're flying from Dublin to Florida with a layover in jfk! How many ounces do you get in the pre filled bottles cause they could actually work!! I had looked into pre sterilised bottle liners but not sure if they'd be any good or not! confused

Allyoucaneat Tue 23-Feb-16 17:29:27

11 bottles? Even if baby feeds every 3hrs that's still only 7 bottles in 24hrs.

Pack.your bottles and feeds in a separate cool bag, use ready made cartons if you can. A quick rinse after use andveash properly at your destination.

My DS had a dairy allergy and prescription milk the airline gave us an extra 7kg allowance because it was classe d as medical equipment.

lilybeansmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 17:34:40

From when we get into the airport @ 8am til I am able to get my suitcase @ 9.30 Florida time I will need 11 bottles! And he doesn't feed every 3 he feeds every 2 so that would be 12 in 24 hrs! I have calculated how many I will need to ensure I have enough, there could be flight delays so I need to be prepared!

FuzzyOwl Tue 23-Feb-16 17:34:41

The pre filled and pre sterilised bottles for newborns are about 70ml each if I remember correctly. I think you get half a dozen in a box.

I just made sure I had enough pre sterilised normal bottles when I last flew and pre ordered the ready made formula from Boots, so I could make sure I had enough once I had gone through to the departure lounge. My flight/journey wasn't as long as your one though (I got by with four bottles there and four back) but it was ok and perfectly manageable.

Are you changing flights? If so, might you have enough time to wash and sterilise (with a travel steriliser) some bottles midway through?

Artandco Tue 23-Feb-16 17:44:54

Get the aptimal pre filled bottles. They are 100ml each.

However what I recommend is the Milton travel steriliser also. It fits one bottle. And lasts 24hrs with the liquid inside.
So take the travel steriliser and tablets empty through security. Then fill with co water and tablet after. Then when on plane bottle can be rinsed and washed in sink then put in steriliser 15mins and is clean to use again.

That way you can just take 3 regular bottles empty. And cartons of formula.

Can use when in America too as can sterilise each bottle after use. Just rinse in sink with water and then sterilise.
The Milton travel sterilisers are about £10

lilybeansmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 17:48:56

Ok so travel steriliser it is! Would never have thought of that thank you all!! Can I just also mention I'm also taking a 5 yr old dd! I've not completely lost my mind and just taking a 4 month old to Disneyworld! grin

FuzzyOwl Tue 23-Feb-16 17:55:51

Hope you all have a lovely holiday. grin

BigBlueBookcase Tue 23-Feb-16 18:05:17

I flew long-haul when my son was 10 weeks. I bought liners to put inside bottles. I put the right amount of formula in each liner and then took the number of liners I needed for the flight, plus one bottle and teat. The bottle never needed washing, and the teat I washed as best I could and then put it in a tupperware tub with a sterilising tablet in it in between uses. Looked very much like I was smuggling condoms full of cocaine through customs...otherwise, bit of a faff, but worked well...

WorkingBling Tue 23-Feb-16 18:27:11

Travel steriliser sounds good but I would get pre filled bottles too. Or order them to be at boots on the other side of security when you leave. They are very handy and I think are 70ml. Good luck!!

lilybeansmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 18:40:42

Bigbluebookcase - do you need a certain bottle? I've noticed any I've seen are only suitable for a particular bottle! I've tommee tippee!

lilybeansmummy Tue 23-Feb-16 18:43:13

I've already pre ordered readymade formula from boots although I was only allowed to order 6 and had to get my sister to order 5 hmm rather odd I thought

Artandco Tue 23-Feb-16 18:51:49

You can take pre made through security anyway. They just might ask you to open some at random so take extra to allow for some thrown

FuzzyOwl Tue 23-Feb-16 19:18:15

It will depend which airport you are at about whether you can take premade through security or not.

BigBlueBookcase Wed 24-Feb-16 11:39:14

lilybeansmummy yes, I bought a particular bottle. I'm sure it was a Playtex one, and it's not normal in that it doesn't have a bottom to it. I can't remember exact name of the bottle, but I just looked on Amazon and the closest I can find is Playtex Nurser Drop In Bottle.

mrsmortis Wed 24-Feb-16 13:27:35

Would these work?

www.amazon.co.uk/Chillipeeps-Teat-Months-Plus-Green/dp/B006L3CG0W

Then you only have to worry about having the right number of cartons (which you can pre order from Boots and collect airside!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now