Holiday in October Half Term (2 adults+ 2 Teenagers)

(12 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 22-Feb-16 16:05:19

Not wanting to be fussy or ought.......... wink

DH and I turn 50 this year , our DC will be 14 and 16

We want to go away in the Oct week (not going away in Summer apart from a long weekend in UK)

We're after:

Shortish flight (say 2 hours or so)
AI
Warm but not too hot (DS can't cope with hot weather)
Something for the DC to do in the evenings so hotel rather than villa
Fly from London

I have no clue where to search. We've been to Majorca and Ibiza in previous years.
Majorca was good but I don't think we'll get the warmer temperatures (though happy to be corrected)

DH and I are vegetarian so that does limit a bit.
I don't really want SC (I do enough cooking at home grin )

We went to Devon last Summer and it pi**ed down apart from one day. So we've sworn off UK holidays.

I think this will be the last holiday DS will join us on.

We need to think soon to book I reckon.

Any ideas gratefully recieved. thanks

Costacoffeeplease Mon 22-Feb-16 16:12:55

October half term is getting a bit late for guaranteed weather and a 2 hour flight - I think you need to at least go to the canaries really (I live in the Algarve and the end of October isn't always very good, and we get probably the next best weather to the canaries)

Branleuse Mon 22-Feb-16 16:22:33

Malta? Octobers supposed to be one of the best times to go

Ive Just come back from there and me and my mum ate vegetarian food every day. There was always one vegetarian option in every restaurant, in fact we had the best falafel and halloumi ive ever had in a lebanese takeaway restaurant in sliema. Not as easy to eat veggie as in the UK, but easier than in france or spain,and of course everybody speaks english as second national language so easy to ask for what you need

Branleuse Mon 22-Feb-16 16:22:54

actually malta was 3 hour flight

CQ Mon 22-Feb-16 16:28:05

We've had fab Oct half-term weeks with Mark Warner in Rhodes. Loads to do, the teenagers go about in supervised packs and come back when they've run out of money or suncream. Can hire a car and explore the rest of the island.

Lovely and warm, but the odd thunderstorm or rainy day so a bit unpredictable at that time of year.

Not good if your DC are really shy though, the first day can be excruciating while they get to know each other.

Watersports, tennis, yoga, bikes to borrow, gym, pools etc.

Fully catered or half board, with loads of veggie choices. Though gets a bit repetitive by Day 7. Flights from Gatwick & Heathrow.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 22-Feb-16 16:31:09

Canary Islands? . We went to Gran Canaria with two of our DSes that age in October half term. The weather was perfect, although I'm unsure if that is a given.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 22-Feb-16 17:01:03

Thank You all that gives me a few ideas to search on.

Yes 3 hours is fair enough (I don't want to be heading to 4+hours so Turkey and Egypt would be too far)

DD is very outgoing , DS is quieter.

Temperatures where its warm enough to be out and about, sit in the sun and swim is good.

I need to check the flights, some of them were leaving mid week which isn't school holiday suitable.

Branleuse Mon 22-Feb-16 18:21:58

www.holiday-weather.com/malta/averages/october

Bunbaker Mon 22-Feb-16 22:34:07

Corfu? The flights are advertised as taking three and a half hours but it only takes three hours.

The weather should still be pleasant, but you might get some rain. There were a lot of vegetarian dishes available.

Coconutty Mon 22-Feb-16 22:36:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hersetta427 Tue 23-Feb-16 08:58:09

I agree that as October half term pushes into November that you will need to travel further to get guaranteed good weather. Even 2.5 hrs only gets you to southern Spain. You probably need to look at the Canaries (4 hrs) or Cyprus which had beautiful weather in October last year.

I go to visit my mum in Murcia, spain every October half term and have always had lovely weather, last year however was awful. 2 days of thick cloud and 2 days of rain left me with 2 very bored children.

Branleuse Tue 23-Feb-16 10:31:47

you are very very likely to get good weather in october in southern spain.

Of course nowhere is guaranteed because weather is a natural occurance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now