kids in newcastle

(4 Posts)
cambo59 Sun 21-Feb-16 09:30:28

DH will be working in Walls End, Newcastle for the next 6 months (we live in the south). The company will rent him a house where he wants but we have never been there before and don't know where to ask for.
He is hoping I will bring the children aged 5, 7 and 9 for weekends and the summer holidays. Does anyone know the area/ have an opinion of a place good for kids? DH will have a car but we won't. Is Whitley Bay nice? Or better to rent a place in the city? Any advice gratefully received.

Dowser Thu 03-Mar-16 22:54:02

I would plump for a place in or on the outskirts of Newcastle. There's so much going on in the city and transport links are pretty good. Whitley bay got very run down. I don't know what it's like now.

I'm surprised no one local has come by to help you. What do his new work colleagues have to say.

Newcastle has the sage , the Baltic, the museums, parks, the quayside, cinemas, there's nearly always something going on most weekends. Just a short train ride to Sunderland , there's the excellent ( free) glass museum where you can watch them blowing the glass. Lovely and warm on a chilly day lol!

Over the river there's the metro shopping centre and again that has lots going on for the children in the summer holidays . Great if the weather is bad.

You're only a short train ride from the ancient city of Durham.

I'd definitely push for Newcastle myself and take a day trip out to the seaside on our one hot day of summer.

mamabluestar Sun 06-Mar-16 17:12:01

I'm located a bit further down the coast near Saltburn so cant answer your question. I just wanted to say that as a family we have had some lovely day trips to the area. We particularly like Jesmond Dean and Saltwell Park. Out of all the places we have visited my daughter always says that South Shields is her favourite place. I follow a blog called North East Family Fun, can also be found on FB. The writter is based in Northumberland with a good knowledge of the area and is really approachable if you don't get any further answers on MN

mrsronswanson Sun 06-Mar-16 17:27:36

There are lovely places to live by the coast. Parts of Whitley Bay have become run down, however the beach will be good for the children. There's also Tynemouth which has a lovely beach. Both those places are close enough to Wallsend, but also have good transport links to the city centre.
Wallsend itself has a nice park, and as has been pointed out Jesmond Dene is good in the summer.
Perhaps somewhere at the coast but near a metro station, or the buses that go to the city centre, would be good for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now