Beach holiday for keen swimmers/sunbathers?

(3 Posts)
magimedi Wed 17-Feb-16 15:30:10

DH & I want to go on holiday in June.

For the last 7 years we have gone to the same tiny town in Turkey, stayed in the same apart hotel right by the sea & had a wonderful holiday. Sadly, the owner handed it over too his sons last year & they have modernised it, made it much more expensive & we don't want to go back.

Just the two of us (both 60+), we love sea swimming & swim at least 3 times a day. Not at all bothered by sandy beaches, almost prefer shingle/pebble.

Don't want anywhere big & noisy but would appreciate a few places to eat out and/or have a drink.

Don't want to go to Turkey - time for somewhere new.

Thinking of Italy, Sardinia, Spain, Majorca/Menorca and Greece but open to any suggestions.

Have been to Croatia (Cavtat) & were not very impressed.

Any ideas or recommendations, please?

Tiredbuthappy1970 Wed 17-Feb-16 15:45:50

Paxos? It's years since I went but I can't imagine it's changed that much. Worth paying for a private transfer.

Onykahonie Wed 17-Feb-16 16:53:47

Sissi in Crete has a large, enclosed harbour/bay with a rocky 'beach' which was great for swimming as it was so calm. There is also a stony beach further round. There were enough bars and tavernas for a bit of variety, but nothing lively.

Another place you might like, is Vasilikos in Zakynthos. It's more of a smattering of apartments, villas and tavernas with a long sand and shingle beach, than a village/resort. I can recommend ionioholidays.com/ for accommodation. We were the only Brits there when we went in high season, so it wouldn't appeal to everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now